The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No action in the airlock

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
m_stodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: milwaukee, WI
Posts: 331
Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbucklew View Post
Cool. I avoided taking the lid off till tonight because I know that it can take a while for the yeast to take off. I'm guessing my bucket isn't airtight. I need to get a carboy so I can see everything easier.
Don't do this, you'll (probably) regret doing it.

1. Hops don't like light
2. Glass shatters
3. Buckets have handles
...The list goes on

Just get through your first few batches, and you'll be confident enough to let it ferment out of sight. If you do want to watch your fermentation, I'd suggest buying a gallon of cider in a glass jug, fermenting that, then using if for 1 gallon batches.
__________________
m_stodd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #22
dbucklew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd

Don't do this, you'll (probably) regret doing it.

1. Hops don't like light
2. Glass shatters
3. Buckets have handles
...The list goes on

Just get through your first few batches, and you'll be confident enough to let it ferment out of sight. If you do want to watch your fermentation, I'd suggest buying a gallon of cider in a glass jug, fermenting that, then using if for 1 gallon batches.
Thanks for the advice. This makes a lot of sense. I do have a 1 gallon carboy I got for Christmas. I might transfer some of the Irish Stout to it and add some bourbon soaked oak chips when I bottle the rest. At least I can see some of the process then.
__________________
dbucklew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #23
dbucklew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Default

So I opened my bucket to take a gravity reading since tomorrow will be two weeks an was surprised to see this.


image-617149172.jpg

And I thought I might be bottling this weekend. Haha.

__________________
dbucklew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #24
dbucklew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Default

I guess my next question is should I plan on waiting a couple more weeks before bottling. I know I'll need to check the gravity, but I don't want to open my bucket any more than necessary.

__________________
dbucklew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #25
mikescooling
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,623
Liked 201 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Default

Stop messing with it, each time the lid is opened the layer of co2 gets replaced with O2. Do like the rest of us and put a tee shirt over it and each time you walk by give it a high five.

__________________
mikescooling is offline
Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #26
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,961
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbucklew View Post
I guess my next question is should I plan on waiting a couple more weeks before bottling. I know I'll need to check the gravity, but I don't want to open my bucket any more than necessary.
If you suspect it's done, take a gravity reading. Take another three days after the first. If they're the same, move to packaging. Reading back through the thread, you pitched a bit warm. Next time pitch the yeast and try to maintain a temp in the lower third of the recommended range.
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.
Hugh_Jass is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #27
dbucklew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Default

I thought it was about finished until I opened it tonight to take a gravity reading and saw the krausen on top.

__________________
dbucklew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #28
Hugh_Jass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,961
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbucklew View Post
I thought it was about finished until I opened it tonight to take a gravity reading and saw the krausen on top.
Yeah, lol, it's not done yet.
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.
Hugh_Jass is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airlock Action pperrydawg Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 04-21-2012 02:35 PM
No action in the airlock after a day? hendrixsrv630 Fermentation & Yeast 24 04-29-2011 09:59 PM
crazy airlock action! kabrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 02-24-2010 03:33 AM
no airlock action on my Quad. BA_from_GA Extract Brewing 7 08-13-2009 03:09 AM
No action on the airlock Rvalverde86 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 08-30-2007 12:13 AM