Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A night of brewing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
JebCkr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A night of brewing.

So, me and my roommate have been getting to some brewing the past few hours. First, I put together a 3 gallon batch of edwort's apfelwein.

Second, my roommates 5 gallon batch of Cascade Amber Ale. It went ok. There was a slight boil over, but nothing to worry about. The biggest problem with this batch was when putting the top on the brew bucket...the O-ring popped out into the wort (when putting the airlock on). Soooo, you guessed it. He had to reach in and get it (there was no other O-ring, so it was a must have. Other than that it looks good. LHBS said it should resemble Siera Nevada.

Lastly, and at this point I'm fairly druck... I maid my Cahaba River Wheat. Boiled it over a bit, just because I erm...stopped paying attention for a bit. Other than that, went off without a hitch.

All in all, a good brew night. Being fairly new to brewing beer, I'm pretty excited. Think my roommates brew will be ok since he put his arm in the wort? (he ran it under hot water before putting it in.)

Any how...CHEERS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm guessing it will be fine.

Next time, keep a 5 gallon bucket full of sanitizer. Stick your arm in the sanitizer rather than hot water. Or better yet, sanitize a long spoon and go fishing.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
McBrewski
Recipes 

You guys have 3 primary fermenters already?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
mattyp1214
Recipes 

Same exact think happened to me today. I had some sanitizer left so I dipped my arm then reached in. Should be fine tho

Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
JebCkr
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrewski View Post
You guys have 3 primary fermenters already?
I've had the 3 gal carboy for wine for nearly a year. My 5 gal brew bucket for 6 months. And just got my roommate into it, so he bought a brew bucket. So yes, we have 3 primarys.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Merlin-CO
Recipes 

Must be a good night for brewing - just put my very first into the primary.

Had a similar issue with having to put hand into cooled wort - the airlock cap had lodged itself in the funnel during sanitation (didn't see it lodged in there - rookie mistake ). Had to reach in to figure out why the funnel wasn't draining into the primary - luckily I had sanitizing solution still so i dipped my hand into it before reaching into the funnel and finding the cap.

Hope it will be OK, but no matter - this is still exhilarating to have my first brew day (or night in this case) under my belt.

Quick Reply