Nice com-pliment on my first beer..and a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
My former judo instructor just called me and told me he finally got a chance to try the beer I gave him ( he is a home brewer also ) we agreed to be perfectly honest about the beers we traded . I liked all of his except one which pretty much exploded when I poured it....anyway he said that the beer was outstanding! Especially for a first try. Of course I gave you guys the credit but he asked me a question I cannot answer......He asked me how I got the licorice undertones in the beer and I have no clue..the recipe is

1 can of EDME microbrewery series red ale prehopped malt extract
1 can of bierkeller premium german malt extract
1/2 pound crystal 40
1/4 pound roasted barley
1/4c pound special B.
1oz centennial hops
1oz fuggle hops

OK where did the black licorice taste come from in the beer?

It might be a combo of something happening in the pre-hopped extract and the roast barley. Prehopped canned extract isn't known for being the freshest stuff around.

What yeast did you use? What were you fermentation temperatures. Hotter fermentation has the possibility of creating some strange flavors.

It might be a combo of something happening in the pre-hopped extract and the roast barley. Prehopped canned extract isn't known for being the freshest stuff around.

What yeast did you use? What were you fermentation temperatures. Hotter fermentation has the possibility of creating some strange flavors.
Nottingham yeast fermented at room temps...low to mid 70's I would guess ( first brew) and as for freshness the cans were outdated by a LONG time, but I got em free and was anxious to try ANYTHING at the time. I told him that recreating the brew would be impossible due to the age of the extract.

Back