Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Next brew recomendation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
JGarner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Next brew recomendation

Hello all. I am going to try a partial mash for my next brew and was looking at the kits and recipes from AHS. I have a couple of questions. First, I did some searching to find out what yeast fuel is and does but I really don't understand its effects on the final product. Second, does anyone with experience with these kits and recipes have any recomendations. (I find many APA's to be a little too hoppy for my taste so I was thinking of an Amber or an English Pale...the nut brown looks interesting too although I've never tasted one) Thanks in advance.

John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
JONATHANKORTZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would also like some advice on this I am bottling a Texas Blonde Ale this weekend that I used a Mini-Mash from AHS and so far it looks good and was simple to make. I am interested in an Amber or English Ale for my next brew. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4941 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 995

I haven't brewed an AHS kit in a while, but for several years I did a ton of them! They are all good, solid recipes with good ingredients. I can't remember all of the different ones I did now, but I remember going through a "commercial clone" streak in about 2006, where I did their clone kits of "Fat Tire", "Pete's Wicked Ale" and several others.

I really liked the Pete's and FT clone, and those might be right up your alley if you don't want something hoppy, but something with great rich flavor.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Have you ever tried Samuel Smiths Nut Brown? It is one of the best beers I have ever had and is not very hoppy. AHS has a clone kit for this. Its on my todo list

Old 01-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
D_Struct
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONATHANKORTZ View Post
I would also like some advice on this I am bottling a Texas Blonde Ale this weekend that I used a Mini-Mash from AHS and so far it looks good and was simple to make.
Great recipe!

This is one of those beers that you give to people that are typically BMC drinkers. It's smooth, crisp and isn't too heavy. I really liked it a lot.

To the OP: Might I suggest their Cream Ale recipe. It's really tasty!

On Deck: Still researching
Primary: Empty (Not for long!)
Secondary: Empty
On Tap: Blood Orange Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, Belgian Tripel IPA, Breakfast Stout

Old 01-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
joeunc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say try their Fat Tire clone, it is really good and very close to original it is their second most popular kit.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
JGarner
Recipes 

Wow. Thanks for all the quick responses. This forum is awesome! Fat Tire was the first craft beer I ever tasted...loved it. it was all I drank for a while. I think Im going to do a Fat Tire clone...followed by a nut brown...and then maybe a cream ale in the summer. Can anyone tell me what the difference might be between FT and Pete's wicked. (I have never tasted that)

Old 01-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
JONATHANKORTZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks I am new to Home Brewing as well and had to look up "BMC" as thats what i was, even worse sometimes, but since i have been trying new beers to save up bottles without screw off tops i have found a new liking, better beer. I am thinking maybe a Real Ale or Leinenkugel clone from AHS.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
obie_fl
Recipes 

Pete's Wicked Ale is an American Brown Ale. The commerical version isn't that good anymore but back in the day it really kicked off the craft American Brown Ale style. Now every craft brewer out there has a Brown Ale in their lineup.

Primary: Bavarian Hefeweizen Primary 2: Empty
Bottled: Coconut Porter, Chocolate Milk Stout, Fat Tire Clone, AHS Golden Palisades IPA, AHS Stormcastle Brown, Dead Guy Clone.
Kegged: Two Hearted Ale Clone , Mirror Pond Clone, AHS Piloncillo Brown Ale, Pliny Clone (Carbing).

Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

JGarner, I made their Bass clone that was very good.
J...KORTZ, I've used 20 Oz. soda bottles with no problems.

Quick Reply