Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Next beer, saison or weisse or something else?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
asterix404
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Next beer, saison or weisse or something else?

So I am torn. The ambient temp is now hitting in the mid 70 inside and it's currently about 68 in my basement. I want to brew a beer and the only two styles I can think of to do are a saison/farmhouse ale or a weisse beer. I have plenty of ingredients for each and I really love weisse beers but I don't know if this is too hot.

I am too busy to do anything fancy like swamp cool etc and I am actually trying out seasonal brewing but I don't know what beer to brew in the high heat in the summer in NE. Mind you, this is not nearly as hot as other places, I gladly admit, but it will be 90 today and the apartment will get to about high 70's and cool to low 70's tonight. It will be like this for a while. The basement floor however doesn't seem to get much above 68 as it's basically 6ft underground and all dirt. Other suggestions are welcome as well.

Cheers,
~Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

That is probably a little too warm and too uncontrolled for a Weiss. Maybe better on a wit. You could really do any sort of Belgian beer and be ok. That would allow you room to do a Belgian blond, dubbel, tripel, saison, etc.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

wyeast 3711 loves hot temps. make a saison. specifically, this one. its really freakin good.

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Oh interesting idea. Wow, I have never seen anything close to getting the FG down to 1.000. Saison it is!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I would go with a saison. Thats my next brew. You might as well take advantage of the higher temps. I have a room setup for 75-80*F which should work out well for it.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Quick Reply