Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newby in Tucson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
cyclefiend1123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newby in Tucson

The subject line is the same I used in the Introduction forum, but since brewing is underway I figured I'd move to the beginners forum for the continuation of my adventure!

My Munton Nut Brown Ale extract batch seems to be going well. I'm 4.5 days into primary fermentation and have gone from an OG of 1.041 to 1.012. The temperature in my kitchen is ~75F. The fermenting wort smells & tastes like flat beer with no odd flavors that I can tell.

My plan is to leave the beer on primary for a total of two weeks then rack to a bottling bucket, prime and bottle. I'll be letting it bottle condition for a couple of weeks before refrigerating.

Any comments regarding my status and plans would be greatly appreciated.

Andy
Tucson, AZ

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Looks like you have everything covered! Welcome, and good luck! What's next on the brewing list??

Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Comments - yeah - keep your hands out of the beer! I know it's exciting, but just leave it sealed for 2 weeks before you start taking any readings. 4 days is way too early to be checking on it. You are going to drive yourself nuts.

Anyway, congrats! You are well on your way to your first brew.

On bottling/carbonating - just give it some time. Plan on 3 weeks before sticking one in the fridge. (I'm not sure anyone ever makes it that long for a first batch, but at 2 weeks you've got a pretty good chance that it isn't carbed yet) It's your beer though and a bottle is small price to pay for a learning experience.

For future batches, you should consider ways to regulate the temperature a little better. 75F is kinda pushing it for most yeast strains. Sounds like you dodged any bullets this time, but I wouldn't press my luck with those temps on a consistent basis.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
a6ladd
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

+1 on the temp. I ferment my ales as close to 68F as possible. Welcome to a new hobby/life long addiction!

Bottles: SMaSH Maris/Citra, Munich Dunkel, Independence Day Imperial Stout, Cascadian Dark Ale, Surly Bender Clone
Kegs: Empty
Primary: LFA Lime
Secondary: Bells Two Heated clone

The Canning Room Brewery

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Welcome Fellow Tucsonan !!! sounds like you're well on your way. and as for someone who lives in the god forsaken town I second the idea of getting a swamp cooler. will bring those temps down nicely

Old 09-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
cyclefiend1123
Recipes 

Oh boy, I cracked my first bottle of the Munton Nut Brown Ale that I brewed from extract and I'm reasonably impressed. From my previous posts, it spent three weeks in primary fermentation, then three weeks, so far, in bottles. It smelled like other brown ales I've had, no nastiness there. It tastes wonderful, and has a creamy feel to it, just what I was hoping for! The ending is a little sweet which is fine with me, though I anticipate that it will finish a bit dryer with more time in the bottle. does that make sense? Also, the head, though reasonable, did not last long. The beer has a carbonation bite to it, though I'm not seeing any bubbles trailing up through the beer.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 319

There is more than one cause of the head disappearing too soon. Time is one, it takes more time in the bottle for the beer to mature.
The second is what is in the beer. You can change the amount and stability of the head by changing ingredients. Third is the cleanliness of the bottles and glassware. Even a little soap residue in the bottle before you bottle the beer or in the serving glass will kill the head on your beer.

In your case, I'd suspect time in the bottle since you are brewing from an extract kit and everything needed for the head should be in there and soap in the bottles will cause no head or very little head that is gone very quickly (ask how I know about that). Try to leave at least a few bottles for another 2 weeks to 2 months and see if the head doesn't last longer.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Try scrubbing one of your glasses with salt, rinse it out very well with water and then pour your beer. If you get good head retention after that you can rule out soapy glassware - not soapy bottles, just glassware. That's the quickest, easiest and most fun since you get to drink the beer either way. Good luck!

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS