Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > newbie w/ questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #1
AHammer16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default newbie w/ questions

Hello, I've been looking through the threads and this is a great community.
I just purchased my homebrew kit from a local Chicago suburban store called Winemakers and I have a few questions about brewing in general and a couple about the forums.

I have noticed that a few of the members here are in the chicagoland area. Are any of you familiar with Winemakers? any comments on their experiance or stock of products?

I purchased a kit for brewing 5 gal batches and I have made 2 batches so far. The first was a recipie from Winemakes for a medium to light bodied brew. The second batch was for a light bodied brew. They were both all extract brews. I used dry yeast bloomed in tepid water with LME. I have had great success so far. the first batch is already bottled and the second is racked to the secondary. Question #1: The first and second batches fermented vigorisly, the first batch was racked and showed no signs of furthe fermentation after 1.5 weeks in the secondary and was bottled w/ a priming sugar. How long should it sit in the secondary fermenter? Should it sit even if it shows no signs of further fermentation?

Question#2: I like beer that i frequently see referred to in online forums and other websites as "swill". I think I just dont enjoy heavy, i.e. guinness, or bitter , extremely hoppy, brews. Am i comitting a sin in the home brew world by wanting to brew pilsners or other light beers?

Question #3: What books on the subject of home brewing are considered the brewers "bible"?

I'll stop talking nowand give you all a chance to respond.
thanks
AHammer16

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2005, 02:58 AM   #2
Sasquatch

Recipes 

In reverse order - #3 the Bible is Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Home Brewing

#2 No. If that's what you like, make it. Maybe your tastes will develop into other styles, and maybe not.

# 1 10 days in secondary is pretty usual... depends on activity though. I've had a recent batch be absolutely done fermenting in about 3 days, and others have taken more like 10. Difference being???

Don't know nothin bout Winemakers.

Primary: Lager

Secondary: Sangiovese, Honey Nut Brown, some Pilsner/ale kinda thing that just won't quit...

Bottled:
Tar Sands Porter, Special Dark Bitter,Oaky Red ale, Hammer & Tongs Black Ale, Black Draught, Cooper's Bitter, Baron's Pilsner
Super Saazy Saaz Pilsner Saaz (It's a little green, yet)

Old 08-02-2005, 03:51 AM   #3
cbotrice
Recipes 

Don't know a thing about winemakers, is that out south or to the west? Up north in wheeling is Perfect brewer, which I have gone to once so far, they are fairly new but pretty well stocked for my needs (relatively new 6 or so batches under my belt). MPW

Old 08-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

#1:the rule of thumb (which is a misnomer since there are few if any rules in homebrewing) is 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, 3 weeks in the bottles. minimum..adjust to styles or your patience level which ever comes first.

#2: don't fall into the trap of being a beer snob or being intimidated by beer snobs. look.. you like beer - you like a certain style.great brew it and drink it with gusto. the whole beer snobbery thing i don't get. as soon as people start hand crafting something they suddenly become pretentious. don't get me started.

#3: while not a bible per sei, john palmer's - how to brew certainly is informative. http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

by the way it is believed that the term "rule of thumb" could have been used by early brewers when there were no thermometers. when the wort was cool or neutral to an inserted thumb, they knew it was time to pitch the yeast.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHammer16
Question#2: I like beer that i frequently see referred to in online forums and other websites as "swill". I think I just dont enjoy heavy, i.e. guinness, or bitter , extremely hoppy, brews. Am i comitting a sin in the home brew world by wanting to brew pilsners or other light beers?
Two month ago I HATED pale ales. A month ago I started tasting a lot of different beers to see what I wanted to brew for my second batch. I have since found several pale ales that I thought were pretty good, and this weekend I had one of the same brand pales that had originally tasted down right disgusting to me...and I liked it...a lot!

Brew what you like, but be aware that this hobby will change your tastes, IMHO.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 08-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go to this site and read it:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/benbrew/beerbook.html

Old 08-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

1. 3-5 days in primary, 7-10 Secondary is what i follow for a typical ale.
2. brew for YOU! brew what you like and screw everyone else :~)
3. Dave Miller's Guide to Homebrewing, Byron Burch's Brewing Quality Beers, Brew Your Own magazine, join the American Homebrewer's Association www.beertown.org , www.beer-brewing.com, THIS FORUM! :~)
welcome aboard and good luck!

El Pistolero : what pale ale didn't you like that you like now???????

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 08-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
El Pistolero : what pale ale didn't you like that you like now???????
Years ago I bought a sixer of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, had part of one, and thought it was the worst thing I had ever tasted. It convinced me that I didn't like pale ales, and I hadn't had a beer that was actually called a pale ale since. This weekend I had one on tap, and it was pretty good.

I would have thought that it was maybe a case of a bad bottle the first time, but there have been a few others (New Belgium Abbey, St. Arnold's Amber) that I didn't care for a month ago, but are really growing on me now. A couple more months and I may even be worthy of an Arrogant Bastard!

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 08-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
A couple more months and I may even be worthy of an Arrogant Bastard!
*mouth waters*

I don't have anything to add to the advice above. Welcome to the forum, AHammer!!
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 08-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

that's not too suprising. i think most people have to acquire a taste for the hoppier and bigger beers. my wife for example. she doesn't care for IPA's, but at the Two Row's brewmaster's dinner ,she loved the IPA w/ the lamb shank. pairing beer w/ food is another way to really appreciate the complexity of a brew........i think it's better than wine w/ food.
aaahhhh...the Bastard! i love that bad-boy.........
try the St. Arnold's on tap at the Ginger Man or the Flying Saucer. sometimes stores don't have it chilled or it's been on the shelf a little while. they don't pasteurize their brews, so they need to be consumed fresh. or better yet, take the tour every Saturday @ 1:00 and get free beer!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply