The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
jaeg1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie questions

I've been making mead and cider for a few years now, but this is my first real attempt at brewing beer. I have made two extract batches, an AHS Evil Brown Ale and AHS Belgian Half Wit. Now, I am ready to rack the brown ale into my converted pin-lock keg.

1. The kegs I have were sitting in a garage for 30 years before being rescued by me. Three kegs still have quite a bit of soda in them (Sprite and Collins mix). One had sparkling water, and the last two were empty (dried Coke). Should I have any worries about using the kegs? I have replaced all seals and cleaned them with PBW. Do I need to scrub the inside with anything? Would a SS scrub pad do any damage? I am a little worried about the age of the kegs and didn't know if the soda would do any damage sitting in them for so long.

2. Is there anything else I should do or be worried about with my kegs?

I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
ShakerD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I took apart all my kegs and soaked and cleaned them with Oxiclean. Some of them were 15+ years old with old nasty soda still in them. A few of them still stunk so I soaked them over night with oxiclean and that took out the smell.

I replaced all the Orings and lubed them all with keg lube. You can pick a set up quite easily and cheaply.

Sanitized them and they were ready to use.

There are a whole bunch of videos on Youtube showing how to do it so you might start there.

One tip is take one keg apart at a time and don't mix up the parts lol

Cheers

Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
snowboard419
Recipes 

As long as they look clean inside and do not have any soda smell to them I would not hesitate to use them

Quick Reply