Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
sc0tty81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie question

Hello everyone,
I got a brewing kit for Xmas and have my brew in primary fermentation, it says to keep it at 19-21 celcius so I got it in the house, I'm worried about the temp dropping through the night, will it have an effect if its colder than the guidelines say?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
sc0tty81
Recipes 

It's a youngs lager kit btw

Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Ynksfan27
Recipes 

I'm pretty new to brewing as well, but I would try wrapping a blanket around it. You can also just keep your thermostat turned up for a few weeks. This is what I do lol.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

When the temp gets too low for me I sometimes fill milk jugs/2liter bottles with hot water, circle them around the fermenter, pressed up against them and wrap the whole thing in a sleeping bag. Has worked really well for me. Be careful though, got a little too warm on one occasion.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Ideally you want to keep as steady a temperature as possible through the active fermentation phase which could be 3-7 days. Temperatures swings can cause stress to the yeast and create off flavors. If the temp gets too cold the yeast will just quit and drop out until warmed back up.

Try placing the vessel in a tub of water to help equalize and maintain the temperature as the volume of water will create an insulating layer

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
sc0tty81
Recipes 

Cheers guys, ill keep an eye on it and run it a bath if necessary

Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Ideally you want to keep as steady a temperature as possible through the active fermentation phase which could be 3-7 days. Temperatures swings can cause stress to the yeast and create off flavors. If the temp gets too cold the yeast will just quit and drop out until warmed back up.

Try placing the vessel in a tub of water to help equalize and maintain the temperature as the volume of water will create an insulating layer
+1; Since the process ultimately depends on the yeast, they have to be kept happy, and every yeast is different. Some respond well to temp variation and others DO NOT.

When I first started brewing, I made Irish Red Ale with Nottingham yeast for my first 3 batches.

On the first one, I made note of the fact that my ferment temp was at the upper end of the range.
On the second batch I focused on keeping it within middle of the range
Third batch (done when it started getting cooler in Vermont) allowed me to keep it at the low end.
All 3 were great beers and each had a different taste that (since all other factors were essentially controlled and reproduced) can be attributed to the yeast.

PRIMARY: End of Summer Mish-Mash Ale
SECONDARY-NADA
SECONDARY-NOTHIN'
Conditioning and Drinking: Bass Ale Clone
Conditioning and Drinking:Regal Pale Ale
Conditioning and Drinking:Dirty Blonde Ale
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
sc0tty81
Recipes 

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate the advice and have been trawling the forums every day to take as much advice on board as I can!!
I figure from what I have read that it pays to leave the brew in primary fermentation longer than the advised 4-6 days? Being new to this I would most likely been too hasty with it but from reading up on here I figured "good things come to those who wait"
I was also thinking about getting some sort of electric blanket with thermostat control for future brews, my wife's not so keen on the dining room becoming a brewery, so I plan to use my outbuilding but its pretty cold in there at this time of year.
Thanks again for the help and I shall continue to read up while my brew bubbles away

Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
derbycitybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0tty81
Thanks for your comments, I appreciate the advice and have been trawling the forums every day to take as much advice on board as I can!!
I figure from what I have read that it pays to leave the brew in primary fermentation longer than the advised 4-6 days? Being new to this I would most likely been too hasty with it but from reading up on here I figured "good things come to those who wait"
I was also thinking about getting some sort of electric blanket with thermostat control for future brews, my wife's not so keen on the dining room becoming a brewery, so I plan to use my outbuilding but its pretty cold in there at this time of year.
Thanks again for the help and I shall continue to read up while my brew bubbles away
Are you going to rack this into a secondary? If so you can rack after fermentation has slowed down for 24-48 hours. If your just doing a primary only I'd say leave it in there for atleast 10 days. When I do just primary I do 10 days no matter what. When doing a 2 stage fermentation I leave in primary for 5-7 days. Then rack to secondary and leave for 1-2 weeks. If I'm doing a big imperial I sometimes leave in secondary for 2-3 months. Just don't want to leave in primary for to long because it can sit on the dead yeast cells(trub) and produce very off nasty flavors. I hope this has helped. Cheers.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Another factor is that the beer temperature almost never coincides with the ambient temperature. Because the yeast in their fury of activity to release heat. If I want my yeast at 68 I try to set the room to 65 or a little lower. Not easy in my apartment, but I find a way.

Quick Reply