The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie needs HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
PatMac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

+1 to the things that everyone has already said.

But how cold did your house temperature get? If you had your heat on a decent level before it stopped, the wort may have never gotten to a cold enough temperature for the yeast to stop doing their thing. Just a thought.

Let it warm back up a little bit and sit for a few more days, take a hydrometer reading, and you'll know for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFowler View Post
Thanks, man - hard to sit still and not worry. I will do as you suggest.

Also, I love IPAs - my absolute favorites. Are they hard to brew? I've had a few that I really like and would like to clone at some point from Stone Brewing and Lagunitas. I recently had a Terrapin Hopsecutioner that was great. Anything particularly different about brewing one? I'm guessing it's all about the hops...?
IPAs are my favorite styles, and you can easily make one. We have quite a few extract recipes under the "recipes" tab in the header above. They tend to have a simple malt bill, and lots of hops, and almost all of the recipes could easily be converted to extract versions if we don't have one posted. Let us know if you need some help with a recipe.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
JimFowler
Recipes 

Cool .... still learning about this site, pretty awesome.

On the temp, I had that room around 72 degrees pretty consistently, and the temp may have fallen to around 65.... (the entire episode has been a disaster - still having heat problems and I'm around $700 in expense so far) ... anyway, my baby is now safely at the in laws at around 70 degrees.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep, def. an awsome site. I'm a newb brewer too. . .focusing on IPA for awhile. FWIW, my plan: pick a recipe, brew it a lot in small batches. Make small variations & compare. In addition to this site there are some great books. Check out Palmer's "How To Brew" and Daniels "Designing Great Beers." What an awsome hobby!

Old 02-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFowler View Post
Cool .... still learning about this site, pretty awesome.

On the temp, I had that room around 72 degrees pretty consistently, and the temp may have fallen to around 65.... (the entire episode has been a disaster - still having heat problems and I'm around $700 in expense so far) ... anyway, my baby is now safely at the in laws at around 70 degrees.
A cool air temperature is just about perfect for ales! I ferment most of mine at 62-64 degrees. Remember that once fermentation starts, the fermentation itself creates heat and the temperature inside the fermenter can be higher than the air temperature. I have a stick-on thermometer (like the kind for aquariums) on the outside so I can see the temperature.

This time of year is great for fermenting here in the northern hemisphere- since it's cool. When it's hot, it's really hard to keep the fermentation temperature under 70 degrees without a cool place to ferment!

Quick Reply