Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie looking for good source for recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
brewfan86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Newbie looking for good source for recipes

New to brewing and not experienced enough to really build my own recipes. I do have a good idea of the styles I like to drink and would like to make. I'd feel more comfortable getting a detailed and tested recipe. What source can I find on the web outside of here.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #2
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Try some books like Brewing classic Styles. The recipes are great the give you both extract and all grain rcipes plus some advice on what each style should be.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Also check out Northern Brewers kits they have a huge variety. I just looked their site over yesterday and am trying to figure out what I want to try for my 3rd batch

Brew On!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

NB has all their recipes as PDFs when you look at the kits. Even if you don't order from them, you can still brew the same beer, or modify it a little. BYO.com has a lot of recipes on their site as well, both originals and commercial clones. If you e-mail your favorite brewery with a polite request for instructions on how to brew their beer at home, they're generally pretty helpful at least as far as providing a general outline, although some will send back the entire recipe. Your other option is to post your recipe on the recipes/ingredients section of the forum and let the community provide constructive criticism.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
brewfan86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid
NB has all their recipes as PDFs when you look at the kits. Even if you don't order from them, you can still brew the same beer, or modify it a little. BYO.com has a lot of recipes on their site as well, both originals and commercial clones. If you e-mail your favorite brewery with a polite request for instructions on how to brew their beer at home, they're generally pretty helpful at least as far as providing a general outline, although some will send back the entire recipe. Your other option is to post your recipe on the recipes/ingredients section of the forum and let the community provide constructive criticism.
Thank Thts a lot of help I'm definitely going to use the recipe forum here once I get a feel and toss out some recipe ideas for the others on here to help with.. For now I'm going to try the websites you mention before I invest in a good book, it's cool tht nb offers their recipes free... It would be awesome if I can get a recipe from one of my local brewery's favorites never thought about tht, all great ideas... Thnx

Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubDog View Post
Man! I was going to do this... I'd go for a clone recipe book too. That way you can see what they're doing for some of your favorite beers and maybe you can get your bearings on the style.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

midwest lists all the recipes right on their kits
northern brewer lists all the recipes for their kits on the learn/documentation tab

might want to buy the ingredients from them if you steal their recipes and don't want to buy a kit, the published recipes are a nice touch.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1104 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

I second buying Brewing Classic Styles. With a Kindle app on your computer you can buy it for like $10 and all the recipes are award winning, plus the tips on how to brew to the specific style are very helpful. That being said, I do like going through the recipe section here and have made some real winners from the recipes members post.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Like Trubdog said, we have a vast recipes section, that is pretty well vetted- when we find that someone has put a recipe that hasn't been brewed yet in there, the mods usually move it out of the archives. To tell if a recipe has been brewed often or not, look at the ones with actual comments and discussions going on.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply