Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie few questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
ryanshelton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie few questions!

Hello guys(and maybe gals?)

My first brew is currently fermenting here in the sunny UK(yeah right!!), i opted for 'Coopers english bitter' kit for my first go.
Its been fermenting for around 7 days now, the OG was 1.032, taken a reading today and its 1.008.
I used 500 grams sugar(normal sugar as i thought if i screw it up at least its not cost me alot) and after tasting a bit earlier ive got to say im pretty impressed.

Doing the calculations itll come out around 3.7% which is lower than i was expecting but i guess thats to do with the amount of sugar used?

Im hoping itll be ready for bottling in the next day or 2, any tips on doing this? Ive got the syphon that came with the kit and 48 coopers bottles.

Im a bit confused on how to store it once bottled, the instructions say store upright for at least another 7 days +18 degrees yet other places ive seen/read say store it in a cool place(fridge, garden shed etc)

Any help much appreciated for a newbie

Thanks
Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do you have a bottling bucket? That's a big help.

Sanitize everything. That's an even bigger help. Siphon the beer into the bottling bucket, leaving the trub behind. If some gets in with the beer, don't worry about it. Use a priming calculator to figure out the bottling sugar, or just use roughly 6 grams per liter ( I hope I'm doing the conversion right, here in my head...), boiled in a pint of water and cooled. Swirl it gently into the beer, or rack the beer into the sugar water, just get them all together. Then bottle.

Store the bottles upright, at room temperature, for three weeks. Then chill and enjoy!

Cheers,

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 01-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
ryanshelton
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
Do you have a bottling bucket? That's a big help.

Sanitize everything. That's an even bigger help. Siphon the beer into the bottling bucket, leaving the trub behind. If some gets in with the beer, don't worry about it. Use a priming calculator to figure out the bottling sugar, or just use roughly 6 grams per liter ( I hope I'm doing the conversion right, here in my head...), boiled in a pint of water and cooled. Swirl it gently into the beer, or rack the beer into the sugar water, just get them all together. Then bottle.

Store the bottles upright, at room temperature, for three weeks. Then chill and enjoy!

Cheers,
Nope no bottling bucket unfortunately The brew shop i brought the kit from advised around 6 grams per litre(or a teaspoon in every bottle they also advised) when i brought the bottles so you were spot on with your calculations!
How would i go about syphoning without a bottling bucket?

Last edited by ryanshelton; 01-09-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: missed something out!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Read this and be enlightened. Then post back if you have further questions.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ebrewer-94812/

Welcome to the club!

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1844 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 1316

Or just use Cooper's carb drops this go round. The Cooper's PET bottles take to drops per bottle. the Cooper's fermenters all have their "little bottler" that ataches to the spout on the spigot. It's simply a bottling wand. You put the two carb drops in the bottle,then push the pin valve on the end of the bottling wand against the inside of the bottle bottom. When it just fills to the top,lower your hand a couple inches to close the pin valve & stop the flow. Pull the bottle down to remove the wand & you get the right head space by way of volume displacement. Sanitize the caps & screw them on tighter than you'd think. They take a lot of tightening to seal against co2 pressure when carbonationg & conditioning.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
ryanshelton
Recipes 

The kit i have isnt actually a coopers kit. The box said richies? The bottles are coopers and the malt kit were coopers

Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1844 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 1316

Well,I was thinking of saving the added expense & travel time to get extra equipment by using the Cooper's carb drops. Then go out & get a bottling bucket,etc.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
ryanshelton
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Well,I was thinking of saving the added expense & travel time to get extra equipment by using the Cooper's carb drops. Then go out & get a bottling bucket,etc.
Ok so let me get this right, i ca use the carb drops(or a teaspoon of normal sugar) in the bottom of each bottle, Then syphon the brew from the fermenting bucket into each individual bottle? There were no instructions with the kit so ive had to pretty much learn as ive gone along!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
the_trout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 54

You can but it would be MUCH easier to batch prime in a bottleing bucket and use a bottleing wand instead of your siphon. These items should be very inexpensive and available at your LHBS. I can pretty much garrantee you are going to buy them soon so you might as well do it now.

Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Yeah bottling bucket and a spring loaded bottle filler are an absolute must. Keep your bottles at room temp for 1-3 weeks to let the yeast eat your priming sugar so your beers will carb. If you refrigerate right away you'll get flat beer. you can refrigerate after that but you don't have to. beer conditions best at around 60 degrees. Conditioning decreases exponentially as temp drops.

The reason they tell you to store upright is so that the sediment from carbing ends up on the bottom of the bottle. If you refrigerate before serving this sediment will stick to the bottom of the glass and you'll get almost none in the glass. I'd say store at room temp and refrigerate what you want to drink. always pour into a glass to avoid the sediment from carbing.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Quick Reply