Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie Brew Trial and Error Log

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Pick up a copy of How To Brew for more detailed and home brewing specific advice.

If get the propane burner and a larger pot then you ready for all grain BIAB. If you get a larger pot, you may also need to upgrade your wort cooling method.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCOSbrew View Post
Pick up a copy of How To Brew for more detailed and home brewing specific advice.

If get the propane burner and a larger pot then you ready for all grain BIAB. If you get a larger pot, you may also need to upgrade your wort cooling method.

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing all grain in a cooler mash tun without the limitations of BIAB method. The wit recipe I cited above includes flaked wheat (a large amount) and flaked oats, so as you can see BIAB is not the option that will advance me in the best way. I've heard that book recommended several times and have sampled it, but I do prefer other sources.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 03:24 AM   #13
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
I was thinking about using a combination, like mashing in a pot (at 122F for twenty minutes, bringing it up to 155F) then transferring to cooler. Open to suggestions.
I would say that doing a decoction mash in the cooler would give better results than doing a protein rest in the pot and the saccharification rest in the cooler.

Quick Reply