Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie Anxiety - wort oxidization during cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
brewESQ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie Anxiety - wort oxidization during cooling

Hi jumped into making my first all-grain this past weekend (easy hefe from browsing recipes on this site).

I don't have a wort chiller so I used an ice bath. My ice melted quickly and the wort was still reading about 150F.

So, without thinking about the cold-break point, I started swirling the wort in the ice bath with a sanitized spoon to cool it down. In a few more minutes (10, maybe) I was down to 120.

At that point I filled my swamp cooler with all the ice packs I had on deck and fresh cool water, put the fermenter bucket in the swamp cooler and dumped in the 120* wort splashing it around to aerate it as I have with my extract brews.

However, I realize in continuing to read and research that the "standard" cold-break point is about 80-85, not 120.

How ****ed am I? Its in the fermenting bucket now, only about 48+ hours in (very vigorous fermentation, had to put in a blow-out tube).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

You're fine, it will be beer!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 399

You ought to be fine. Hot-side oxidation seems to be one of those things that you should be aware of, and try to avoid, but you're not likely to experience. Before I had an immersion chiller I would swirl the wort while it sat in an ice bath to cool, and I never experienced any issues.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

I put the BK in the sink with cold water for a couple minutes first to knock off the high side heat a little. Drain the sink,then fill to the top with ice first,then top that off with cold tap water to the top. This gives more ice than water for greater cooling ability.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 841 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I put the BK in the sink with cold water for a couple minutes first to knock off the high side heat a little. Drain the sink,then fill to the top with ice first,then top that off with cold tap water to the top. This gives more ice than water for greater cooling ability.
agree with unionrdr here

using ice from the get-go is a waste, it will melt too fast

swirling is good. both the wort and the ice water, in opposite directions

though I have a problem doing that and chewing gum at the same time

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

unionrdr Likes This 
Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 21

RDWHAHB...

You are SUPPOSED TO AERATE(or oxygenate) before you pitch.

Hot side aeration is largely considered a myth. Any aeration between the end of boil and pitching yeast is a good thing. Any aeration after the yeast are done eating is what you need to avoid.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I second HSA being a myth on the home brew scale. No worries.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
RDWHAHB...

You are SUPPOSED TO AERATE(or oxygenate) before you pitch.

Hot side aeration is largely considered a myth. Any aeration between the end of boil and pitching yeast is a good thing. Any aeration after the yeast are done eating is what you need to avoid.
I agree, but I don't know if I would go so far as to say that it is a myth, but rather unlikely to occur on the equipment and scale of a home brewer.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

-- My ice melted quickly

-- Drain the sink,then fill to the top with ice first,then top that off with cold tap water to the top. This gives more ice than water for greater cooling ability.

-- using ice from the get-go is a waste, it will melt too fast

It's all a matter of concentration. The pieces of ice have air between them and air has very little substance and heats up very quickly (and will, in turn, offer very little chilling potential). Cold water between the pieces of ice is much more substantial and will have far greater chilling ability and will also serve to keep the ice colder longer.

I don't see why uniondr drains the water before adding the ice though...

I don't think it matters very much if there is more ice to water for cooling as long as the water is cold. (Although more ice will *keep* the water colder longer.) What *does* matter is that there is *more* substance of the cold stuff (ice plus water vs. ice plus air). 40 lbs of cold water will be better than 20 lbs of ice. Although 40 lbs of ice and water will be better than either.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
brewESQ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Thanks, man

Quick Reply