Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie advice for Coopers DIY kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
gp68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Newbie advice for Coopers DIY kit

Hi

I am an american living in Norway and am about to venture into home brewing. I am expecting a Coopers DIY kit in a few days. It will have the European Lager set and some extras: 100g Cascade pellets; 100g Saaz Pellets; 11.5g Safale US-05 yeast packet; SaflagerS-23 yeast packet and a W34/70 yeast packet along with the normal items included in the kit(Brew enhancer1 and carbonation drops).
Excuse my ignorance, I'm an avid beer drinker but never made the stuff. Where do i start? Should i just follow the directions in the kit and use the coopers yeast.....or can i do anything with the other items? I've researched a little on the net and understand that a european lager should be fermented cooler( 13-15deg celsius) and longer and stored longer before drinking( 12 weeks). Anyhow...seems like my research has got me bouncing around all over the place. If anyone has some tips or a guide as to what i should consider doing....it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance: Gerry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That was my first brew as well. Don't follow the instructions on the kit.

Get as big of an aluminum or stainless pot you can and start your boil with the pot about 2/3 full of water. Add the Coopers hopped LME as it begins to boil along with 3lbs of light DME if you can get your hands on some. Add a quarter of the Cascade and Saaz. Boil for 45 minutes. Add the another quarter of the Cascade/Saaz and boil for an additional 10-15.

Cool your wort in an ice bath, dump into primary and top off with cool water to 5.5 gallons bringing the temp down to around 80F. Pitch your yeast of choice and ferment a minimum of 2 weeks, longer if the yeast are still active. Hydrating dry yeast helps. Temps in the low 60s would be great.

Rack into bottling bucket with 4-5 oz sugar or dextrose dissolved in a cup or two of boiling water and cooled. Bottle. Practice good sanitation and your beer should turn out well. Mine did, but could have used more hops.

Good luck.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Spartangreen
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'd follow the sticky at the top of this page.

Beginner extract brewing howto

Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
llevt
Recipes 

I am drinking a Coopers as a write this. I would not boil the hopped Coopers LME...many post on not boiling hopped LME. You can do a quick boil of the BE 1, about 20 minutes and add some of your hops if you want to spice it up then add the European lager at flame out. The quality of your first beer will be more a function of temp control, sanitation and patience.

The US-05 is a great yeast but I have made good beers with the Coopers supplied yeast.

I just sampled the Coopers pale ale complete kit which includes the BE 2. I did a short boil of the BE 2 with some citra hops and added the and hopped can at flame out. It is great beer at only 10 days since bottling! The Coopers beers only improve with age.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
gp68
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips. Another question is after I let it ferment for the 3 weeks and bottle it. Do I need to store the bottles at a cold temperature for the recommended 12 weeks?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
llevt
Recipes 

Store the bottles at the same temp as primary fermentation, which is usually room temp. I will let them carbonate/condition for four weeks before I stick them in the fridge to age.

However, I will sample one at weeks two, three and four weeks just to see how they are progressing. Pop one in the fridge overnight and give it a sample. Some simple beers are surprisingly good young but most tend to improve with age.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsdealer View Post
Add the Coopers hopped LME as it begins to boil along with 3lbs of light DME if you can get your hands on some. Add a quarter of the Cascade and Saaz. Boil for 45 minutes.
I recommend that you do not do this. You would be better to follow the Coopers instructions than do this because the pre-hopped kits are not meant to be boiled, as boiling would alter the characteristics, especially hops profile. The only exception to this advise would be if you deliberately want to change the hops profile or are experimenting. So for first time brew, don't do it.

I've done the Coopers Euro Lager straight up and it was came out fine, nothing special but a decent lager style beer. The Euro lager comes with lager yeast (or it may be an ale/lager combo yeast, not 100% sure), so brew it cool. I would brew it at the very coolest end of the range given in the instructions 14C, if I remember correctly. If you use the safelager yeast instead of the kit yeast, check the recommended temp range for safelager. You will also need to add about a kilo of light malt extract (liquid or dry). This should be boiled (with water) to sanitise (unless it comes in a can). If you wanted to use some of your hops, you could add it when you are boiling the malt extract. Out of the 2 varieties, the saaz will be best suited for lager. 30g boiled for 5mins will give you some flavour and aroma. You do not need to boil the hops for long as you already have your bittering hops built in to the kit.

Blogging about my home brewing experiences at BrewinMyOwn.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
gp68
Recipes 

Well, I received my Coopers DIY kit today... the seller included a note saying he was out of the European lager kit so he sent a Thomas Coopers Selection Pilsner and 1kg of Brewferm light spray malt instead of the enhancer2. He basically included a recipe: said to boil 2 gallons of water; add the spraymalt and mix well; once I get the break remove from heat and add 30grams of the saz hop pellets; boil for 15 minutes then pour into the fermentor. Add the can of extract; get the temperature down to 17deg celsius(63F) by adding cold water to the 20liter mark; sprinkle the bag of yeast on top add the sleeve and cover. Ferment for 2-3weeks. He said this will produce a great beer, try it and if I'm not satisfied he would send me the European lager when he gets it in stock

Does this sound right? Do i need to add sugar or is just the kilo of spray malt ok? Do I just pour the hop pellets in and strain them out later?

Thanks. I really appreciate the tips.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
WhiteEagle1
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I started with the Coopers Kit as well.... Do a search on youtube for "Coopers DIY Kit" There are alot of videos. I would watch a few of Craigs (Craigtube) videos. He will show you step by step.

Luck is for People who need Luck.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
DroolingNeoBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp68 View Post
Well, I received my Coopers DIY kit today... the seller included a note saying he was out of the European lager kit so he sent a Thomas Coopers Selection Pilsner and 1kg of Brewferm light spray malt instead of the enhancer2. He basically included a recipe: said to boil 2 gallons of water; add the spraymalt and mix well; once I get the break remove from heat and add 30grams of the saz hop pellets; boil for 15 minutes then pour into the fermentor. Add the can of extract; get the temperature down to 17deg celsius(63F) by adding cold water to the 20liter mark; sprinkle the bag of yeast on top add the sleeve and cover. Ferment for 2-3weeks. He said this will produce a great beer, try it and if I'm not satisfied he would send me the European lager when he gets it in stock

Does this sound right? Do i need to add sugar or is just the kilo of spray malt ok? Do I just pour the hop pellets in and strain them out later?

Thanks. I really appreciate the tips.
Yah that's pretty much what I do with HMEs (Coopers and Mr. Beer).

Also the Thomas Coopers select is a better line. They are truer to style. The Coopers European lager is and Australian version of a European lager. I believe that the Select Pilsner kit comes with the Coopers Lager yeast too, not the ale. Coopers lager yeast is a warm lager yeast like mauri brew. So use that and keep it below 67F. It will likely produce some sulfur on you, but that will condition out. 4 weeks below 67F, then bottle and carb at room temp for 3 weeks then put in the fridge for another 4 - 8 weeks (start sampling at 4 weeks in the fridge)

Next: Irish Red Ale, Mild, BC Pale, Scotch Ale, Helles, Pils
Planning: Bombardier clone (The real ale cask version, not that sh!te in the bottles)
P1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout P2: Pear Wine P3: Air P4: Oxyclean
Keg 1: Stout Stout Keg 2: Dead Intruder Mailbock
Bottled: Lots

Quick Reply