The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
talani
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New wort chiller

I bought a copper wort chiller and put it right to work last night. I noticed that my tap water is a little over 80 degrees. Does this mean I cannot chill below 80 with the wort chiller? I'm doing ales, so I think I am trying to get to low 70's.

I guess I could pack the hose in ice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Either way, just rack to fermenter once you get to terminal temperature and set it in the fermentation chamber to finish cooling. Pitch once it's reached desired fermentation temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
talani
Recipes 

Thansk. This sucks. I was hoping the chiller was the end of all my chilling machinations.

If I was smart, I would throw a couple of gallons in the fridge early in the day. I'm doing mini-mash right now so I top it off with a couple of gallons. I'll check the fridge temp. That would help me get below 80. I am sure. This step won't help me on all grain days, though.

31. Blue Moon clone
30. Pale Ale
29. Porter (secondary)

Now serving: Nada. I'm tapped out.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Another method is get a cheap pond-pump and put ice in a bucket full of water. Run water into the bucket to keep the fluid level constant until the output chiller-water becomes less "hotter than hell". Then simply recycle the output water into said bucket and keep adding ice.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 17

This should probably be moved to a different forum but beyond that....

multiple solutions are available to you:

1.submerge your boil kettle in an ice bath while chilling with wort chiller
2. get a pre-chiller which is essentially another wort chiller that you put in an ice batch so that the water entering your wort chiller is cold enough to get your wort down to pitching temps.
3. get a pond pump and just re-circulate the wort chiller water in an ice bath once you get the wort temp down to your water temp of 80*.
4. do all 4 of these if just get really excited.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
talani
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I honestly don't think I would have bought the chiller if I had known it wasn't the final solution for wort chilling. I'm really disapointed.

The kind that I bought has some clear plastic hose between the copper coil and the hose connection (held with hose clamps). I think I am going to buy a really long hose to replace the short pieces that I have and run that through an ice bath before it goes into the copper. A second chiller is totally out of the question for me. I still need a brew kettle and liquor pot to get back to all grain.
I pitched the yeast at just under 80 this time if my thermometer is to be believed. It took about 12 hours, but the blow off tube now sounds like a strong and steady heart beat. I'll get it down to the low 70's next time.

31. Blue Moon clone
30. Pale Ale
29. Porter (secondary)

Now serving: Nada. I'm tapped out.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
billl
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If it is any consolation, water temps vary considerably based on outdoor ground temps. Yours might be coming out of the tap at 80 right now, but for most of the year, it is probably substantially lower than that.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Pond pumps are cheap, really cheap...so are the bilge pumps you can get at walmart. As mentioned, put one in bucket of ice water and you'll be golden.

As it stands, your chiller is fine. Just chill it down as low as you can go and seal it up in the ferm chamber. In a few hours, or the next day, just open it and toss the yeast in. No time, really.

Quote:

Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by talani View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I honestly don't think I would have bought the chiller if I had known it wasn't the final solution for wort chilling. I'm really disapointed.

The kind that I bought has some clear plastic hose between the copper coil and the hose connection (held with hose clamps). I think I am going to buy a really long hose to replace the short pieces that I have and run that through an ice bath before it goes into the copper. A second chiller is totally out of the question for me. I still need a brew kettle and liquor pot to get back to all grain.
I pitched the yeast at just under 80 this time if my thermometer is to be believed. It took about 12 hours, but the blow off tube now sounds like a strong and steady heart beat. I'll get it down to the low 70's next time.
A word of caution: don't expect a longer hose to do much. Vinyl is a relatively poor heat conductor. I'd be surprised if you gained more than a couple of degrees.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You have plenty of cheap options so don't get upset about it. You will have the same problem with any kind of chiller that uses tap water.

Pond pump is a very cheap and easy solution. You can also build a pre chiller for under $25 that will work well too. I would recommend one of these as it will not only bring the temp to what you want but it will do it much quicker than the chiller alone

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Quick Reply