New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to SMaSH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
emr454
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to SMaSH

Hi all. I have a couple of hop plants that I purchased this September. They were planted right away and I'm hoping the yield some hope like my first year Cascades and Nuggets did. The gentleman selling them had no idea what kind they are, as they were growing on his property when he moved in. I remember reading about someone else who had unknown hops and they were told to do a SMaSH. I would like to try this if I do get hops from those 2 plants. Are there any instructions available to newcomers like me? Like what kind of malt to use, etc.? Thanks.

Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
emr454
Recipes 

Also, if anyone has a recipe for a 2-2.5 gal batch that would be great. It would fit perfect in my Mr. Beer fermenter.

Eric

Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

It's really not a fixed recipe...it is simply one malt and one type of hop...Such as my Marris Otter and Argentine Cascade SMaSH.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/smash-advice-mo-argentinian-cascade-92765/

This is a good thread about how it can be done...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/what-heck-smash-97804/?highlight=Smash

It's fun!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
emr454
Recipes 

Can this be done with extracts as well? I think I'm going to move into AG brewing before the end of this year, but I would like to try a few easier batches/kits before I make the jump. Thanks for your help!

Eric

Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
Can this be done with extracts as well? I think I'm going to move into AG brewing before the end of this year, but I would like to try a few easier batches/kits before I make the jump. Thanks for your help!

Eric
Did you look at the "What the heck is a smash" thread? Iirc I posted info about how it can be done as an extract.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Here there's a lot of junk in that thread...but I talk about extract smashing there. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1065943-post54.html

Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
emr454
Recipes 

When going about it the AG route, do you keep the heat on after you reach your desired temp(154, 155, etc.) or do you get it as close as possible and then turn the heat off, put the lid on and let it sit for an hour? I guess what I'm asking is do you need to keep it at the desired temp constantly during the mashing process?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure its right when I try it.

Eric

Quick Reply