Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to the site and first brew attempt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
rtyler8140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default New to the site and first brew attempt

I've been wanting to get into homebrewing for awhile now, but couldn't justify spending the money. I thought that kegging was the only way to go and didn't have the space or the money. Well my wife surprised me for valentines by buying me a Brewers Best starter kit. She works at a consignment shop in town and got the kit for $25. It was dusty, but had never been used. Anywho I bought a few extra items and an Irish Red Ale kit from Midwest. I stopped by my local homebrew shop and he gave me a case of bottles. I guess people bring bottles in to him all the time so he keeps them out back to give to his customers. I'll go back in a week or so and get another case. Everything I ordered from Midwest came in today, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I think it went pretty well for my first time. Had 2 boil overs, but once I got the flame adjusted right it was smooth sailing. I'm just glad I was on the deck and not in the kitchen on the wife's new stove!

Brew kettle set-up. 30qt Turkey fryer from Wal-Mart

Mixing in the extract

Cooling in the sink. Took an hour to get down to 76 degrees that includes running to the store to get ice.

Hydrometer reading @ 76 degrees. Kit called for 1.042 to 1.046 OG.

Put to bed for the next few days in the primary. Bought a better bottle for secondary.

I'm glad I was able to find the site. I have been lurking for quite a while trying to glean some knowledge, I can't wait to taste the payoff!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
vogtenstein222
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

Looks like you made beer! Welcome to the addic...hobby!
Unless you're planning on adding fruits or oak or anything, you may just be able to run a longer primary straight to bottling. Opinions on here vary but I am a proponent on just doing a longer primary till the SG stays steady for a few days then going to bottles for 2-3 weeks (depends on my patience level).
But all things aside, looks like a job well done. Spend some time reading books about brewing and browsing every corner of the site. Get to know the various possible infections and how to prevent them. But most of all have fun and RDWHAHB (relax don't worry have a home brew)!

Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
mikeh80
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Sweet! How'd that turkey fryer do? I've considered picking that same model up, but thought I'd read something about that built-in timer being a PITA.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Congrats, welcome to the greatest addiction in the world!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Your gonna want to brew another pretty soon because filling that beer pipeline keeps a curious brewer from cracking into the beer thats not ready yet

Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #6
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Looks exactly how I got started several years ago... sans the brew kit. 30 qt aluminum pot and a turkey fryer brings back a lot of good memories. Good luck in your future brewing endeavors....

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
rtyler8140
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh80 View Post
Sweet! How'd that turkey fryer do? I've considered picking that same model up, but thought I'd read something about that built-in timer being a PITA.
Turkey fryer did well. Timer was a little annoying, but not bad. It shut the flame off twice, but its easy enough to relight without removing the pot.

Woke up this morning and the airlock is bubbling once a second or so. Already planning batch 2 for next Saturday! Thinking about doing a third the following Saturday.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #8
rtyler8140
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So the Irish Red has been going for a week now. I haven't seen any activity in the airlock for a few days. I was planning on taking some readings after two weeks or so. On Thursday night I put together a batch of cider. I used the Caramel Apple Cider recipe found here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/cara...-cider-292770/ Tonight I brewed up another extract kit, this time from brewers best. It was recommended by my LHBS. It is the Weizenbier kit. No grains to steep with this kit. Everything went a lot smoother tonight with no pesky boil overs! Here are a few pictures from tonight.

Kit all laid out (Had already added the first LME)

Brewing away

My brew buddies wondering what the heck I'm doing.

Hydrometer reading @68 degrees.

From left to right: Weizenbier, Irish Red, Caramel Apple Cider

After reading some info about the Weizenbier I decided to do a blow off set-up. Just took a piece of 1/2" ID tubing and fit it over my 3 piece airlock. After a few days of fermentation I will switch back to the standard 3 piece set-up. This will be my last brew for a little bit. I'm all out of primaries and would like to start tasting some of the brews before I keep going. I'd like to make sure that I'm not making bad beer before I keep brewing and brewing.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
Smerfs8485
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I got the same burner. I use the pot for cooking crab during crab season. I went out bought a 8 gallon SS kettle. As for the timer I get a cresent wrench and get it stuck, timer stops and flame stays on. Im to lazy to go in and remove it. ha ha. Looks like some nice brews.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #10
jimmarshall
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I highly recommend you get a test jar/tube to take your hydro samples in.

Primary: 5 Gallons of fresh air
Secondary: Fresh Air, Hopes and Dreams
On Deck: Roid Rage IIPA
Bottled: Whiny the Youngster IIPA, 3600 Second IPA, Daredevil IPA

Quick Reply