Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Poster, 5th or so brewing, DUMB Mistake..or was it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #1
stussy2870
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Poster, 5th or so brewing, DUMB Mistake..or was it?

Hello everyone-

This is my very first post here and as it is w/ many first time posters, i have a problem/question.

Bought the True Brew Brewing kit that comes w/ the Glass Carboy. Also got the Octoberfest kit as my first batch.

Anyway, long story short- Cooked up the brew last night and for some reason i thought it would be a good idea to put the hop pellets into the grain bag. (i dunno...i read the instructions and didnt see when the hops were supposed to be added so i added them to the grain bag and "steeped" them...ugh!!)
I realized while steeping that this was a mistake, had no additional hops available to me so i kinda moved the steeping bag around enough to get the hops somewhat dissolved. The brew was greenish at this point (no extract added yet) so i did manage to get some of the hops dissolved.

I added the ME and continued on- Everything went well, the wort looked and smelled great and even tasted pretty decent.

my questions:
1) has anyone done this before and what did your brew turn out like?
2) the wort is fermenting (bubbles in the airlock) however the foam was very "hoppy-green"- that normal??

- for informational purposes, theres a You Tube video of someone brewing this exact batch and his fermenting wort looks EXACTLY the same.

I hope im ok... ugh..this stinks!!

thanks
Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You'll be fine. You will have beer.

Time was, your choices for adding hops were early, middle, or late in the boil, plus dry hopping. Nowadays, people also add pre-boil ("first wort hops"), and in the mash. That's what you did - mash hopping - there are recipes that call for that, so how could it be terrible?

Enjoy the beer you get, and enjoy your next batches.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 10-28-2010, 03:04 AM   #3
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

you have some hops in the fermenter. let them settle out after fermentation is done. siphon carefully. enjoy.

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

It might head toward a little more bitter. No big deal. I have always left my hops to settle into the trub at the bottom.

Did you add any flavoring or aroma hops later? It will probably be decent beer.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
stussy2870
Recipes 

Wheeew... Thank goodness!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you basically did a "mash hop"/"first wort hop", which many people do intentionally!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
stussy2870
Recipes 

Im stoked to hear all the positive replies.. Definitely cant wait!! On a somewhat related note, My airlock has ceased bubbling, probably had a steady stream of bubbles for approx 36 hours. I've read some other posts that say dont go by the airlock entirely however a reassureing.. "hey -dont worry, itll be fine" doesnt hurt to hear..

so?? Am i still ok?

I noticed that the wort is beginning to clear at the top and still looks murkey from 2/3'ds the way down the carboy to the floor.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
pkincaid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 17

BTW...Hop pellets don't actually dissolve, they just break up into a green mush. I brew All Grain and I put my pellets into a tea bag and let them go in the boil. I've "mash hopped" once. It was nice, but a bit too bitter for me. Everything will be A.OK Enjoy the hobby!

Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:Rootbeer
Kegged RootbeerUp Next: 3 honey mead

Old 10-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stop fiddling with it and just brew another batch. This is what I like about loose lids: no airlock to worry about, check or sniff... Check your gravity in a week if you must or just leave it alone.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfr1111 View Post
Stop fiddling with it and just brew another batch. This is what I like about loose lids: no airlock to worry about, check or sniff... Check your gravity in a week if you must or just leave it alone.
I agree wholeheartedly.

The batch I did the other night is going along really nicely. I can lift the lid and smell it.

Disclaimer: This only expresses the opinion of a flea bitten, back to nature, hop loving, slacker that can't afford real equipment. Thank you for not throwing rocks ;-)

Quick Reply