The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New member: question before I dive into the brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #21
McGarnigle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Unless he owns the building, your friend might want to check on whether he is even allowed to use propane indoors (I'm guessing, no).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #22
Jdaught
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I would go all grain if I were you, that's where you'll end up anyway so why not learn it now. A friend and myself did the same thing about this time last year. Grabbed palmers book, bought a cooler, kettle and the rest of the stuff and brewed a triple decoction bock from a recipe we made ourselves. It was one of the best beers we had ever drank. So don't worry, everything you need to know is in that book or accessible on the Internet. We have done about 12 brews since then, all grain, and haven't had a problem yet, knock on wood. To this day we have never done an extract brew.

I would be concerned with brewing indoors though. Alot of fumes and alot of heat.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 AM   #23
Ishouldbeking
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
Unless he owns the building, your friend might want to check on whether he is even allowed to use propane indoors (I'm guessing, no).
Yeah, you're probably right. He owns his loft, but not the building. I'm positive he's not allowed to use propane indoors, but I doubt that would stop him if he felt like it.

Fortunately, if we reeeaaaaally had to, we could probably brew on his rooftop. We've done plenty of bbq'ing up there, and it's actually pretty nice on the top story of a 13 building in downtown LA.

Is it problematic to move the fermenting bucket after you finish the cook portion of brew day? I figure we could just brew outside then bring the fermenting bucket down to his spare room, right?

Old 11-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #24
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldbeking View Post
Yeah, you're probably right. He owns his loft, but not the building. I'm positive he's not allowed to use propane indoors, but I doubt that would stop him if he felt like it.

Fortunately, if we reeeaaaaally had to, we could probably brew on his rooftop. We've done plenty of bbq'ing up there, and it's actually pretty nice on the top story of a 13 building in downtown LA.

Is it problematic to move the fermenting bucket after you finish the cook portion of brew day? I figure we could just brew outside then bring the fermenting bucket down to his spare room, right?
Not only is it not problematic, it sounds like alot of fun. Plus bringing it to the spare room will help oxygenate it (a little ). If you BBQ up there you should brew there. I wish I still lived in LA, I'd join you and make a party of brewday's.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #25
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Yea, don't do it inside. That could be some very exspensive beer. The roof top would be a better idea, with something planned for fire safety. It's good that you're planning early, but make you plan for safety.

Good Luck.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #26
ldepaoli
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Plus one for starting all grain. But remeber to KISS (keep it simple stupidy). Start with a simple recipe (Pale Ale), single infusion, dry yeast and focus on the details (SANITATION SANITATION SANITATION).
A simple recipe will be easier to trouble shoot (Pale Ales use most if not all just Pale 2-row or 6-row malt). A single infusion as well (one temp to monitor and easier to change afterwards). If you like go crazy with the hops (but use just one type for bittering and one for aroma/flavor, again easier to trouble shoot). And use a clean dry yeast (my take Fermentis US-05) since it's easier to handle and it will produce less off flavors if fermented at higher temperatures (again, EASIER TO TROUBLE SHOOT).
And one last advice: SANITATION SANITATION SANITATION.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #27
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

If you've got 14 ft ceilings, concrete floors, plenty of windows, and a big fan, I don't see much of a problem using a turkey fryer inside (for beer, not oil). I brew in my garage all winter with just the door cracked open a couple of inches and a fan going.

One thing you're going to want to figure out, though, is the running water situation. You're going to need an immersion chiller, CFC, or plate chiller to get your wort cooled down. All of those require plenty of cool water and somewhere to drain.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #28
Ishouldbeking
Recipes 

I gotta say, I'm amazed at how many responses I'm getting here. As a member of several other forums (mostly musician/gear related), this is by far the most helpful response I've gotten as a newbie, and I'm very grateful for all the help! I'm looking forward to staying active here as we progress as fledgling brewers!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #29
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishouldbeking
I gotta say, I'm amazed at how many responses I'm getting here. As a member of several other forums (mostly musician/gear related), this is by far the most helpful response I've gotten as a newbie, and I'm very grateful for all the help! I'm looking forward to staying active here as we progress as fledgling brewers!
I think I may be speaking for everyone here when I say that the most passionate hobbies are the ones that involve alcohol

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #30
Ishouldbeking
Recipes 

For the record, I emailed the manufacturer of the brew system we'll most likely be using (Synergy), and they said it could be used indoors (especially in our situation with high ceilings, concrete floors, and gigantic windows) but the key is proper ventilation. Meaning, one fan blowing venting out, one fan sucking fresh air in. My friend is working on a design for a mobile ventilation station to be mounted on a dolly for easy mobility, and for safety sake we'll also get a quality CO detector. In all likelihood his Housing Authority would probably give him a harder time over trying to brew on the roof, so there you have it.

Quick Reply