Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Member - 1st Brew: Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
NCSU_05_FX4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default New Member - 1st Brew: Oatmeal Stout

First time brewer, glad to meet y'all! This weekend my wife and I brewed a batch of Oatmeal Stout.

The ingredients:

That's 6.6 pounds of Light American Malt Extract
8oz Roasted Barley
4oz Crystal 120L
1lb Flaked Oats
1oz Hops
Yeast

Started with 2.5 gallons of filtered water and heated to 155 degrees.

Bagged up the oatmeal,

and other steeping grains,

and steeped them for 30 minutes.

-darker-

-and darker-

-and darker still-

Steeping complete.

Next we dissolved the 2 bags of malt extract while stirring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
NCSU_05_FX4
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

We put it back on the heat and brought it to a boil. Once boiling we added the hop pellets,

and continued to boil for 45 minutes,

before adding the Irish Moss,

and boiling for another 15 minutes.

At this point we sterilized everything with 1 tbsp of Beer-Brite per gallon and water; everything got soaked and rinsed.

Yeast time!

Prepared by adding it to 4oz of warm water, covering and waiting 20 minutes. In the meantime, the wort was cooled using an ice bath.

Once cooled, the yeast slurry was mixed in and everything poured into the fermenter. I used a screen to filter out the hops and other solids present.

Last thing we did was take a reading...

This reading of 1.050 (not temperature adjusted) is expected as the recipe estimated an OG of 1.055.

Finally we sealed it up, and stored it away in the basement where it's about 67-68 degrees.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
chaos2984
Recipes 

very nice im about to brew a batch of oatmeal stout this weekend. What kind of yeast are you going to use. Im going to use white labs liquid yeast this time instead of dry from my first batch of Irish red ale

Quick Reply