Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to Homebrewing; Bottleing questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
jth6373
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to Homebrewing; Bottleing questions.

Hey guys,
Last week I bottled my first batch, brewer's best american amber, with brewer's best deluxe kit. To bottle it I bought an empty case of new brown bottles, and instead of buying another case of empty bottles I cleaned out bottles of Corona which is what I had in the fridge during fermentation. Is it ok to use a clear bottle, like Corona, for a beer like an american Amber ale? Also as I finished the Corona bottles I cleaned them out and put them in the dishwasher. While I was bottling I also used the sanitizer and bottle brush on the Corona bottles. Was it ok that I put those bottles through the dishwasher?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Clear bottles are ok as long as you keep the beer out of the light. The light will skunk the hops pretty quickly.

Did you sanitize after you ran them through the dishwasher? normally if you put them in the dishwasher you should run it without soap. Its hard to rinse the soap out of the bottle in the dishwasher. You should be ok. Time will tell. In the future If you run them in the dishwasher Id not use soap. I would sanitize them before I bottled them.

On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
knowltonm
Recipes 

We started out using the corona bottles and they did work alright. What kind of capper do you have? We used the cheap 2 arm capper that came with our kit and it never seemed to work that well, it was hard to keep it straight. Turns out the notch the capper holds on to is actually rounded, not flat on bottom. This was more of a nuisance than anything, we were still able to get good seals, so if you don't have a problem with that and you constantly have them in the dark, they're fine.

After you drink one if you rinse them out and let them dry, then you just need to sanitize before bottling...soap kills the head.

Primary: 20 min IPA (14oz cascade/5gal), partigyle pale
Secondary: Mead
Bottled: Orange Cream Ale, Big Red Ale, RIS, American Stout, Nut Brown Ale, American Amber Ale, Brown Porter

Old 10-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They are fine but brown is better. Keep them out fo the light and you will not have issues.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I even have a few clear plastic pop bottles that I use in times of a shortage. I keep them in a box away from the light, and have no problems with them.....Ever.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
butler1850
Recipes 

For what it's worth, I sanitize all my bottles via the dishwasher. A wash with the sanitize setting enabled, and a couple of scoops of oxyclean do it well for me. The oxyclean also removes the labels (and softens most that don't fall off, enough to scrape off)

Clear bottles will work, but as others have already said, keep them out of the light. Brown bottles give a bit more tolerance to light, but I still protect those pretty well. I don't want to ruin a batch due to a little carelessness.

Quick Reply