The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to homebrewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
I-Hop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to homebrewing

For Christmas, my wife just got me a True Brew Maestro kit (beginner's brew kit) which comes with a Basic Brewing Book, 6.5 Gallon primary fermentor with lock and lid. Bottling bucket w/spigot, bottlefiller, adhesive thermometer, Rack and Fill Kit, Hydrometer, capper, bottlebrush, auto syphon and santizer. She also got me a 20 quart stainless steel brewpot and an ingredient kit for a Hophead IPA. I also already have plenty of 22 oz. bottles.

I have been brewing at a "Brew Your Own" type of establishment that provides you the equipment, recipes, and ingredients to brew a 15 gallon batch at their facility. The employees at this facility walk you through the brewing process and do all the clean up. Not a bad deal at all, and the employees & owners have always been excellent. But I thought I'd like to tackle brewing at home for the convenience as well as the ability to tweak recipes or come up with my own recipes altogether. There are a few clones that I am dying to try out too.

My questions to all of you are:
Is there any more equipment I might need to start brewing at home?
Does anyone have any tips for a newbie?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am chomping at the bit to get started here. I've got 4 cases from the BYO place in my beer fridge which I am feverishly consuming to make room for my 1st batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

I have never brewed extract... but it sounds like you are ready to go! My only advice is to ask a lot of questions, search the threads here for information, and relax.

Welcome to brewing, Happy Holidays

Old 12-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
lx302
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say to read as much as you can.
There are a couple good homebrewing book on the market, John Palmers is a good one and like the above post, ask questions.
I would add a stainless steel slotted spoon to your list for lifing the hop/malt bags and for stirring your wort.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Welcome....

A good online book....

How to Brew - By John Palmer

Old 12-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

This is a good thread with info (and some opinions, by those who don't necessarily know the difference between advice and opinion)

This is pretty much stock full of NEWBY TIPS...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ston...-advice-54362/

Also you will find a huge amount of info at the top of each section, in the form of stickies...just about every nervous new brewer question has been covered in there as well...

And our search function is a decent resource as well...More than likely the same basic question has been answered several times alread...so You might find the basic answer covered..you can always bump one of the old threads with a further more deeper question after you've read that.

Welcome to your new OBSESSION...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
I-Hop
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick responses.
I have been reading many different threads here in HBT. This place is a wealth of information. I also have a couple of books on homebrewing that I received for Christmas. I plan on buying a s.s. slotted spoon to use only for brewing.

As I mentioned in my 1st post, my 1st batch will be a Hophead IPA. It is a DME kit theat came with the dry extracts, grains, hops, yeast etc. How do I prepare the grains for steeping? Do I need a mill or can I just roll them with a rolling pin or something to that effect?

Also, the kit came in a box that my wife hid from me till Christmas. The yeast was in this box and remained un-refrigerated for a couple of weeks. I have refrigerated it once it was in my possession, but fear it may have spoiled. Should I still use this yeast or just purchase a new vial?

Old 12-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can roll them with a rolling pin, but be prepared...it's pretty tiring if you have much there.
I don't know the answer to you yeast question... is it dry or liquid?

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 12-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you were planning to make a yeast starter you could certainly do that and see if the yeast is viable, but if you were planning a direct pitch then I would definitely replace it first. I'd probably get another one anyway in case the starter didn't work.

Other than that the biggest mistake I think newbies make is trying to rush the process. It doesn't look like you have a secondary fermenter (and it's not necessary anyway) so I would suggest leaving your beer in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks before bottling (after checking the FG of course).

Good luck with your brew and welcome to HBT.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 12-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
I-Hop
Recipes 

The yeast is a pitchable liquid White Labs British Ale yeast. I think I may just pitch it in the trash. LOL It is only around $8 for a new batch of yeast, so I think it is worth the $8 for piece of mind and a quality beer.

As for the grains, I may try to place them in a ziplock freezer bag and roll them with a rolling pin. It may take a while to roll them all, but like many of you have said - it's better to take your time.

Thanks for the advice. I look forward to gaining experience in my new obsession.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Start drinking-heavily- You are going to need the bottles. I like sierra nevada bottles.

Look on Craigslist. I searched beer, and found a lot of gear for sale from people that have
stopped brewing.

My next brewing purchase is going to be a turkey fryer, so I can brew outdoors. much better than stove top.

Last edited by NJTomatoguy; 12-28-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply