Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to the Home Brew; Festa Brew Wheat with Honey!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
strider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Also, instead of cutting the center u can drill a hole off to a side to fit a gormmet(sp) to fit a airlock. Mine have all come pre-drilled so I don't know the size, but hit up the search. I'm sure its in there.

Primary 1: Palace Bitter
Primary 2: BC Rouge Dead Guy Clone
Primary 3: Hefeweizen
Secondary 1: Traditional Mead
Secondary 2: Toasty Palace ESB
Bottle Con: Goats Heavy Scrotum Porter
Bottled: Nothing:(
Next: APA or Irish Red

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to get another bucket to try the primary fermenter only method. I'll take a trip to the brew store and Home Depot to see what kind of fixtures I can get.

Regarding my Honey Wheat. I racked it into the carboy a couple of hours ago and I'll admit I'm surprised that the wheat beer isn't acting like the Morgans IPA I brewed with my father months ago. There was still fermentation going on when I opened the bucket this evening. I racked the beer into the secondary and placed an airlock ontop. With the IPA fermentation never stopped, although I can tell that there is no build-up of positive pressure in the carboy now.

I'm sure it'll be bubbling a bit by tomorrow morning, until then I shall continue researching!

Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Updated with recent pictures

Old 01-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
TJ-Bill
Recipes 

I just used a 1" Hole saw on the top of one of my buckets then got a stopper to fit it.

I'm doing a Ale right now in a bucket with the top just sitting on it, I've done 3 like this now. Basically I like to wait 4-7 days before I transfer it to the 2nd. I like some fermentng to take place in the 2ndary in order to push all the air out. I've also done Primary only and had good results.

Primary: Double Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Red Ale
Primary: German Ale
Primary: Empty

Kegged: Smoked Ale
Kegged: Spring Pilsner
Kegged: Apfelwein
Kegged: Swamp

Bottled: Irish Maple Cream

On deck: IPA

Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey TJ-Bill,

When you were brewing with a primary only did you just pop the lid down after 4-7 days instead of transferring to a secondary and then let it finish as if it were in a glass carboy? That's my plan for a blonde I'd like to try in time for St. Patrick's Day. I actually made another thread on it here. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/univ...pattys-100040/

Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #16
TJ-Bill
Recipes 

I transfered to a secondary. I have a carboy and a bucket that have the air locks and 1 bucket without. So depending which one if free for the primary depends if I rack to a secondary. I think I might eventually just stay with the primaries. buckets are cheap so are plugs and air locks.

Primary: Double Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Red Ale
Primary: German Ale
Primary: Empty

Kegged: Smoked Ale
Kegged: Spring Pilsner
Kegged: Apfelwein
Kegged: Swamp

Bottled: Irish Maple Cream

On deck: IPA

Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
B-rad
Recipes 

I brew these Festa Brew all the time and I do it exactly as per the instructions (I assume you got this from Noble Grape in Nova Scotia.. If not check out there instructions on their site).. I always put the lid on loosely without an airlock and transfer within 5 days.. Every beer has turned out perfect..

Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
RBull
Recipes 

^Good to hear about your success with Festa and Noble. That's what I'm working on now.

Hey guys,

I'm another noob here in NS. Actually, quite a few years ago I brewed "the old fashioned way". My neighbour gave me a West Coast IPA a month ago. It was good so it made me think of getting started. Looking forward to reading and hearing more from the experts here.

I've got my first batch of Festa - Red on right now. Racked it nearly a week ago to secondary so hopefully will be bottling soon.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #19
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm glad to hear from some Maritime home brewers! The Noble Grape on Quinpool Rd. is where I get most of my stuff from, although I have to say I prefer going to the one in Clayton Park as those guys are absolutely obsessed with what they do, it's great!

Update: My Festa kit is still bubbling after 28 days! Every 35-40 seconds I'm getting some airlock action but it's getting very boring now. My last kit was a Morgan's canned kit and that was in the bottle within 5 weeks, fermentation had stopped late in the third week. So I'm getting a little antsy, I'd love to prime and bottle this batch so I can get one step closer to sampling it!

I suspect the honey is the culprit, I've read that it takes a long time to ferment and even longer to mellow out. It's a good thing I started a Blonde Ale kit from The Noble Grape not long ago because I'll need something to drink while I wait for the Festa kit to condition properly.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #20
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Update: I bottled the brew last night. It was still off-gassing quite a bit, which increased as I bottled it. I added 1.25 cups of dextrose to the bottling bucket and I was hoping that the swirling beer coming from the carboy into the bucket would dissolve all of it. I discovered about 1/4 cup of dextrose left in the bottom of the bucket after bottling was done, I doubt this will make a huge difference in the level of carbonation. It's a wheat beer anyways, IBU's are low and I don't think the carbonation has to be very aggressive. This one might make for a great shandy!

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Quick Reply