Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New here, please help with my list of stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Deniro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New here, please help with my list of stuff

So, I've been wanting to get into brewing. I've done lots of reading and taking notes. It's now time to pull the trigger and get the equipment and try to brew a batch. I'd like to get feedback on the list of things I am going to get, in case I have forgotten anything or just need to change something.

- Intermediate Kit from Midwest with Better Bottles
- Beer thief (kit doesn't have one. Can I just the syphoning tube or something?)
- Ingredient kit, looking to do a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone. Trying the whitelabs yeast
- 25' wort chiller w/hose fittings - A cheaper cooling method would be a pain for me, trying to brew outdoors
- Bottles
- Starsan
- Turkey fryer from Wallyworld, 30qt (good for full boils if I'm not doing all grain)
- Propane tank
- whirlfloc
- packet of dry yeast for insurance
- Cheap spray bottle, small bucket for a blowoff tube
- Blowoff tube - What size would I need?

I'm thinking of doing this outside with the turkey fryer, which is why the wort chiller will work the best for me.

I'm looking forward to trying this out, as I can thing of several styles I'd like to try and I don't know which I would choose for a second attempt. I just wanted to first get the equipment list correct, so I didn't forget something and then have to wait for that one little thing before I can brew. The kind of thing where you learn from your mistaktes.

Thanks for any help with the list.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

See if your Costco still has the 44 qt fryers in stock. Mine was like $79+ tax.

Thief: Not necessary. Use a turkey baster if you want to save money.
Iodaphor is cheaper than Starsan and many prefer it because it's not so foamy.
Whirlfloc - most of us use Irish Moss, but there's probably no big difference.

What you need:

Big, long spoon or paddle.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
If you are fermenting in a pail, you could use a turkey baster. Where do you find one long enough to reach below the surface of the beer from the top of a 6 or 6.5 gallon Better Bottle (what he is buying) or a glass carboy? The longest turkey baster I've ever seen is 1/3rd the length of my plastic thief.
Mine reaches. I guess my "turkey baster" is longer than yours. I have no problems "putting it in" and "touching the surface".

It's fun to turn a normal sentence dirty with quote marks.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pick up an Auto Siphon as well. They save you lots of time and problems transferring from primary to secondary fermenters.

I use mine all the time and NEVER have had a problem.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Deniro
Recipes 

Thanks for the info so far. I'll check for a larger pot, as $79 really isn't that much more and will be better for future needs. I looked again and the kit says it comes with 8oz. of Easy Clean no rinse cleaner. Will that be as good as Starsan/Iodaphor? (Their site says the Iodaphor is no longer available) What about OneStep?
Spoon has been added to my list, I'll see if I can find a turkey baster type of thing that will be long enough for my needs.
I'm trying to collect bottles, and have asked my brother also, but I will need to buy some at first because I won't have enough in time. A few extra will be good for brewing a second batch, I figure.
I hadn't thought about the groundwater temp question. I'm in VA, so right now the water temp should be cold enough. I'll check it now and as it gets closer to summer. I'm on a well, so hopefully that will be cooler in the summer.
I also am not stuck on the whirlfloc over Irish Moss, so I can just change that item.

I'm feeling better after not hearing anybody mention several things that I completely missed, so will probably order tonight and be brewing soon.

Thanks again.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
jdcoffman
Recipes 

I think you've got a pretty complete kit going there, I use one-step and haven't had any problems yet.

You know what I would get... another primary and another carboy... because once your first batch is in bottles you're going to think of all kinds of things that you want to do next... and it just won't be fast enough! lol.

Have fun!

Old 03-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Lets confirm; are you getting this kit (glass carboys)

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6876

Or this kit (better bottles):

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6875

FYI - both have the auto-siphon so x that off our recommend list. Pretty good deal personally.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Kind of odd that both kits include two primary fermenters - 1 glass (or better bottle), 1 bucket. Fine to have em though.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Deniro
Recipes 

My plan is on getting the kit with the Better Bottles. I figure that once I go through the process once or twice there will be plenty of recipes I want to try. Maybe one that needs to sit for a much longer period of time, so I could get another secondary.
I also liked that they offered the choice of glass or better bottles. I think I will very possibly get a second better bottle to use for a secondary when I get a second kit.
I guess the next step after that would be to use recipes that aren't in kits, getting what I need based on a recipe I want to try.
I don't know, but it should be fun. I just need to find some people to help drink what I make.

Last edited by Deniro; 03-04-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't know, it may be just me but I like the class carboy's better. It's like the soda in a plastic bottle vs, glass or beer for that matter, it just tastes better in glass. May be all in my head, but I just like glass... seems like higher quality.

BTW, I got the $79 kit from midwest, came with everything you need. I highly recommend.

Quick Reply