Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Guy Looking For Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
Nihil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
So you've collected your wort in the bucket or carboy, then you have to clean out your kettle with all the grain before you pour the wort back in to boil (you don't boil the grain, BTW, you're holding it at mash temps). That's the part that sounds like a PITA. With a bag, you can just lift the grains out and start your boil straight away.
In addition, if you were going to sparge from a bucket you would need to heat up that water so it's ready at the end of the mash. Typically you would heat that up in your kettle while your mash was being conducted, but you won't have the kettle available. If you try to heat the water up before the mash and store it in the bucket it's going to cool off by the end of the mash I would think.
Ohhh I seeee...See, I'm still trying to make sense of everything that I've been reading and watching. The bits and pieces I've watched, aren't complete start to finish and there's so much to read and so much info to research and learn from.

I could swear in that dvd, they go through their process, they reach their strike temp, mash in, step mash, talk about mashing out, then it cuts to them with the mash tun poured into a lauter bucket, from there they sparge and it ends. I believe they use a hefeweizen brew for the demonstration, don't know if that matters, wouldn't think so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 54

1. What is your initial budget?
2. What is your initial budget?
3. What is your initial budget?

That looks like a reasonable list.
Include a valve on the pot, allow another $30, maybe a tiny bit less.

I do 5 gallon batches, BIAB with a 32qt Al pot on an electric stove. The 5 gallons strains the limits of the equipment. Personal preference that I do not want to use propane.

If I switched to propane, I would definitely consider a larger brewpot for either BIAB or traditional 3-vessel. The larger pot will not necessarily kill your wallet if you stick with aluminum. My cheap 32qt tamale steamer was $30. A 40qt Al stock pot will run about $60-$80, less worries about boil-over and you can do full BIAB.

Quote:
From what I gathered, I could use a turkey fryer, .. blah blah more steps .... Once finished, .. even more steps ...?
Or, try BIAB and screw all those steps. Try it just once. It's $3 for a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Mash, drain, boil, into the fermenter. Done.

You can go with all the other equipment next batch, I promise. This is your first AG. Take it easy on yourself

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #13
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 351 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
I could swear in that dvd, they go through their process, they reach their strike temp, mash in, step mash, talk about mashing out, then it cuts to them with the mash tun poured into a lauter bucket, from there they sparge and it ends. I believe they use a hefeweizen brew for the demonstration, don't know if that matters, wouldn't think so?
Sounds like they are just showing you the production of the wort which is unique to all grain, then they expect you to know the rest from the boil to chilling to going into the fermenter. As Epimetheus said, if you try BIAB and don't like the technique all you are out is about 2$ for the paint strainer bag. If you like it you've saved the money on all that other stuff as well as shortened your brew day (I love brewing but it's also nice to cut down wasted time). I still use several methods depending on batch size, but I gotta say IMO BIAB is the way to go for smaller batches.

The only other thing I would note is for the great majority of beers with the well modified malts available you don't need stepped mashes, a single infusion step is fine. I would highly recommend that at least until you get your process down, then you can learn about steps and figure out for yourself when you would want to use them.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #14
Nihil
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
1. What is your initial budget?
2. What is your initial budget?
3. What is your initial budget?
I'd like to stay under $200. From what I've see with the various kits online, they can exceed that and not have much more than my list, so I figure I'm ahead of the game with my small savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
That looks like a reasonable list.
Include a valve on the pot, allow another $30, maybe a tiny bit less.

I do 5 gallon batches, BIAB with a 32qt Al pot on an electric stove. The 5 gallons strains the limits of the equipment. Personal preference that I do not want to use propane.

If I switched to propane, I would definitely consider a larger brewpot for either BIAB or traditional 3-vessel. The larger pot will not necessarily kill your wallet if you stick with aluminum. My cheap 32qt tamale steamer was $30. A 40qt Al stock pot will run about $60-$80, less worries about boil-over and you can do full BIAB.

Or, try BIAB and screw all those steps. Try it just once. It's $3 for a 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Mash, drain, boil, into the fermenter. Done.

You can go with all the other equipment next batch, I promise. This is your first AG. Take it easy on yourself
True, I guess I'm just trying to think ahead here by getting as much equipment as I'll need for a while, until I want to make larger batches. Basically enable myself to be able to brew whatever, however, just on a smaller scale until I have everything down perfectly. I was surprised at how cheap the aluminum pots were at cash&carry.

Quote:
Sounds like they are just showing you the production of the wort which is unique to all grain, then they expect you to know the rest from the boil to chilling to going into the fermenter. As Epimetheus said, if you try BIAB and don't like the technique all you are out is about 2$ for the paint strainer bag. If you like it you've saved the money on all that other stuff as well as shortened your brew day (I love brewing but it's also nice to cut down wasted time). I still use several methods depending on batch size, but I gotta say IMO BIAB is the way to go for smaller batches.

The only other thing I would note is for the great majority of beers with the well modified malts available you don't need stepped mashes, a single infusion step is fine. I would highly recommend that at least until you get your process down, then you can learn about steps and figure out for yourself when you would want to use them.
Are there any step by step guides? I do feel like I'm missing pieces to the puzzle, most of the info I come up with on the internet is more specific to improving a single step in the process.

I've got another video I came across online, seems like a home made one. They boil their water in the mash tun, BIAB, once that's done, they remove it, add their extract, bring back to a boil, add hops at their required stages, remove from heat, cool and pour into a glass carboy for primary then go to secondary a week or two later, then bottle once done.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #15
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 351 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
I've got another video I came across online, seems like a home made one. They boil their water in the mash tun, BIAB, once that's done, they remove it, add their extract, bring back to a boil, add hops at their required stages, remove from heat, cool and pour into a glass carboy for primary then go to secondary a week or two later, then bottle once done.
Sounds like a partial mash brew, but it's the same basic procedure just without needing any extract as all your sugars will come from your mash. They aren't boiling the mash, the bag is removed after the mash before the boil (don't boil the grains!).

Try reading through this sticky in the BIAB forum. You don't need the the metal basket and can just use the bag, and for smaller batches likely won't need a pulley system, but it's a nice write up for the basic process.

How to Brew is another good resource. The online version is free but outdated, I recommend the newer print version.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #16
Nihil
Recipes 

Quote:
Sounds like a partial mash brew, but it's the same basic procedure just without needing any extract as all your sugars will come from your mash. They aren't boiling the mash, the bag is removed after the mash before the boil (don't boil the grains!).

Try reading through this sticky in the BIAB forum. You don't need the the metal basket and can just use the bag, and for smaller batches likely won't need a pulley system, but it's a nice write up for the basic process.

How to Brew is another good resource. The online version is free but outdated, I recommend the newer print version.
Alright, so I've spent some time reading the BIAB stuff and also the single vessel all grain brew as well. Now I'm thinkin' that'd be an easier way to go.

As far as equipment, what I have listed, is essential, either way? I can add some bigger stock pots later on for the full all grain setup?

Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #17
jtratcliff
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Go to smart n final or some local grocery chain and get a 40 qt aluminum tamale pot. Mine was $19.99 on sale at smart n final. I can regularly get one for $30ish at my local ethnic market.

Get a voile curtain from Walmart, Lowes, Ikea, etc. (2 panels from Ikea for under $5... FWIW I now use a bag from wilserbrewer here on HBT) to do BIAB.
Read the BIAB stickies. It's easy.

Go to a bakery, Chinese restaurant, etc. and ask for their cast off buckets. I get mine from a soap making shop. Food grade. 5-7 gallons. Free.

Pot, bag, bucket. That's all you need.

Then bottles, capper, bottling wand. Get more than one bucket. At least one fermeter, one bottling bucket. Drill a hole and install a spigot ~$2 in one bucket.

So were looking at $20-30 for the pot...$5 voile curtain, free buckets... $2 spigot... $15 capper, $3 bottling wand, $10 autosiphon, $5 tubing, free bottles (you've been saving the bottles from beers you're buying, right? You'll need 50-60 for a batch. Don't worry you'll have a few weeks to stock up). $3 caps

Not so bad, cost wise...

Time wise? With a new baby? Good luck!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #18
jtratcliff
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Oh.. and by the way... Welcome to the obsession!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #19
mrboz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Welcome to your new obsession. With a single pot, as folks have said, BIAB is a good place to start. If you are really down with the all-grain ... look into getting a ten gallon igloo cooler and converting it into a mashtun.

Also, I would encourage you to get a couple ale pales from the LHBS, you can do your fermenting in those and they are much easier to clean and harvest yeast from. As others have said, you can pick up used food grade buckets ... my only heartburn with this is that they can be scratched and scratches are hiding places for nasties that will ruin your beer.

Keep in mind that while there are several ways to make wort - fermentation is where all roads meet. Spend some time learning how to manage yeast, sterilization and fermentation temps.

Good luck and remember - you pretty much always end up with beer (unless you kill your yeast by pitching it into wort that is too hot). Pay attention to your sanitation (obsess over it) and you'll make pretty good beer.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #20
Nihil
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtratcliff View Post
Go to smart n final or some local grocery chain and get a 40 qt aluminum tamale pot. Mine was $19.99 on sale at smart n final. I can regularly get one for $30ish at my local ethnic market.

Get a voile curtain from Walmart, Lowes, Ikea, etc. (2 panels from Ikea for under $5... FWIW I now use a bag from wilserbrewer here on HBT) to do BIAB.
Read the BIAB stickies. It's easy.

Go to a bakery, Chinese restaurant, etc. and ask for their cast off buckets. I get mine from a soap making shop. Food grade. 5-7 gallons. Free.

Pot, bag, bucket. That's all you need.

Then bottles, capper, bottling wand. Get more than one bucket. At least one fermeter, one bottling bucket. Drill a hole and install a spigot ~$2 in one bucket.

So were looking at $20-30 for the pot...$5 voile curtain, free buckets... $2 spigot... $15 capper, $3 bottling wand, $10 autosiphon, $5 tubing, free bottles (you've been saving the bottles from beers you're buying, right? You'll need 50-60 for a batch. Don't worry you'll have a few weeks to stock up). $3 caps

Not so bad, cost wise...

Time wise? With a new baby? Good luck!
True, I eventually wanna have full control over everything which is why I initially thought all grain, now...I'm thinkin keep it simple, go with the biggest pot I can so I can brew large batches, then add on until I have everything for a full all grain setup, in the mean time, build on my experience/technique to fully understand everything.

We're at 14 weeks, I've got some brew time ahead of me! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtratcliff View Post
Oh.. and by the way... Welcome to the obsession!
Thanks! Thanks to everyone thus far. This is a great forum group

Quick Reply