Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > new guy!! final gravity reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
sick-cadaver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default new guy!! final gravity reading

Hey guys new brewer here I have my first batch getting ready to come out into 2 fermatation. It's a true brew ipa. 5 gal .. what gravity ready should I look for when its complete .1000/1020 ? Thanks any help would be also room temp is 70

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It will depend what variety of yeast you used, your OG and such. If I recall correctly the True Brew kits tend to use the Munton's yeast. Also extract beers don't always attenuate as far as all grain... So while I can't say with certainy, but just at a guess with what I've experienced with those kit beers I'm guessing your beer will finish around the 1.015-1.018 range. I think the lowest I ever got one of their kit beers to go was around 1.012 (which honestly is where I like a lot of my hoppy beers to finish around).

Old 12-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 86

You're not looking for a specific number so much as you're looking for a _steady_ number.

First off, make sure you've given the beer enough time. If it's only been on a few days, forget it and come back later.

If it's been 7-10 days at least (lots of folks around here, myself included, don't touch their fermenters for 3-4 weeks) then you can start checking gravity levels. What you want to see is the SAME gravity number for at least 3 days in a row. Maybe it finishes high (I'm going to be kegging a porter that finished at 1.028 tonight - absurdly high, but I think I know what went wrong), maybe low (another brew's recipe stated I'd finish up around 1.021 or so, but I actually finished at 1.014), but you want to see that it keeps the same gravity for at least three days. Test it one day, test it again 2 days later and, if it reads the same gravity, you're ready to keg/bottle/secondary (if you really want to, anyway - won't get into _that_ debate here!).

Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 41 Posts

As others have said, look for a steady reading over a few days. I leave most of my beers in primary for at least a month and don't bother getting a gravity reading until I'm ready to bottle.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 12-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2129 Times on 1862 Posts
Likes Given: 1571

Take a look at the kit instructions & see what it says for Final Gravity range.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
sick-cadaver
Recipes 

Thanks guys its been in there over a week and I would let it sit but I am going to be sharing them on a upcoming celebration lol.I am going to test 2marrow and if good bottle and sit for 3 weeks.. then when my primary fermenter is free I am going to brew a batch of rouge dead guy ale and I will let that sit for a month.thanks so much guys for the info already loving the site lol .

Quick Reply