The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Favorite Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
billk911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Favorite Beer

I just had a sierra nevada porter and i love it. I am goign to do a robust porter kit from brewers best and I hopeit is close...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
MassMark
Recipes 

I have not enjoyed a Sierra Nevada yet - though I have not tried them all. I'll try anything once, so I will give their Porter a whirl....Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am curious about their stout, actually. has anyone tried that? is it a worthy stout? Their pale is kind of 'meh' for me, actually, though I do recognize it as a flagship in west coast brewing....I have just moved on. but, SN stout anyone?

Robust Porters = pretty damn good. I just yesterday found a lost bottle of the Robust Porter that was my first homebrew (AKA a 5 month old Porter), and while the stuff I drank a few months ago was very good, this bottle was exceptional....all of the 'off-flavors' had disappeared and the beer had really matured and smoothed out...so, my advice, brew yourself that robust porter, carb it up for a month in the bottle and then put it in a cool place for a few more months...you will be very glad you did.....

...and you're in Wisconsin? me too!.......or more like,......Brrrrr......I hate this place....wtf am I doing here........

Last edited by snailsongs; 01-31-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
Maveric777
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billk911 View Post
I just had a sierra nevada porter and i love it. I am goign to do a robust porter kit from brewers best and I hopeit is close...
I am a big fan of it as well. Last New Years we all got together and decided everyone would bring something new and different from the beer store. I had tried one before and knew the SN Porter was the one I wanted to bring. Turned out to be a big hit at the party.
On Deck - Imperial Stout, American Blond, Amber Mock Bock, "Cricket" #2

Primary - Dunkelweizen, Apfelwein

Bottled - Amber Wheat, Stout, Hefeweizen, Porter, Best Bitter

Old 01-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
billk911
Recipes 

I am going to try the brewers best robust porter kit and hope that it is close..

Old 01-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Weapon-X
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
I am curious about their stout, actually. has anyone tried that? is it a worthy stout?
I've been drinking the stout lately. It is quite delicious and I would reccomend it to anyone. It stands above most of the large micro-brew stouts and is almost up at the craft-brew level. I'd also strongly reccomend SN bigfoot.

Beer will be the death of me

Old 01-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon-X View Post
I've been drinking the stout lately. It is quite delicious and I would reccomend it to anyone. It stands above most of the large micro-brew stouts and is almost up at the craft-brew level. I'd also strongly reccomend SN bigfoot.
I'm a big fan of the SN Stout as well. I haven't tried the porter yet, I will have to.

My current favorite porter is the Kona Brewing Co. Pipeline Porter. Mmmmmm...

Keg 1: Eve's Downfall Pomegranate Cider
Keg 2: Empty :(

Old 02-02-2009, 03:16 AM   #8
bell0347
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm definitley on board here with you on this one. I love SN Porter. I've kinda been looking for a partial mash clone for a little while. From what little input I have gotten I have a recipe thrown together in Beersmith that I want to brew soon. Will start adjusting from there I guess. Will let you know how it goes.

B.Bell

"Hell, it aint rocket surgery"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first. :D

Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm currently sipping on one of these....Mmmmmm...it is very good! I like the fact that it is sort of creamy and chewy...a lot of porters don't have that quality, or nearly as much of it.

My favorite thing about it, however, is the hops.....it is a perfect balance of bitterness for the malt in this beer. Who thinks they can name the hops profile? It definitely has some west-coast style cascade-ish flavors.....can anyone single out anything in particular?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
jmp138
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sierra Nevada Stout is a really nice beer, and a good value at that. I don't mind paying alot for something special, but for something really nice without breaking the bank I will always take a SN Stout.

An off topic porter question, does anyone know how to get Descheutes Black Butte Porter on the east coast. I was in California this summer and it is just incredible.

Quick Reply