The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New dont know anything

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Thurst
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New dont know anything

Basically what the title says. I've got a Mr. Beer kit and that got me started and I understand the concept now but I want to brew the real way now. I guess I basically need to know what you need to brew with out the kit that gives you all the extracts I wanna know how to do it from the very beginning. I understand that's probably a lot so feel free to direct me to another thread that may have what I'm looking for. I'm in the marines and am in the field for the past month and don't have good enough internet to do a lot of searching. Thanks, I hope to be brewing by the time I get home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
HutSutRaw
Recipes 

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charles Papazian is an excellent read for the beginner.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Start with this online, book, http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html and also read the stickies in the beginner's section and that should give you a good base to start. Welcome to your new obsession.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
hahareid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HutSutRaw View Post
The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charles Papazian is an excellent read for the beginner.
this is what got me!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2746 Times on 2697 Posts
Likes Given: 110

read those 2 books but realize this forum has proven some of the methods outdated.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
baystatebrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

read the first two sections of papazian's complete joy of homebrewing first, but don't worry about the 3rd section on advanced brewing. and then this site frequently.

irregular pulse is right. papazian does an excellent job describing procedures for new and intermediate brewers for basic malt extract-based brewing, which is what you are doing. once you get a few extract brews under your belt, you'll start using this site more than the books, because you can find best practices and info on actual brand names that are better than others that he can't provide in the book. for example his book covers wort chillers briefly in the advanced section, but there is much better info on here on how to build or buy one, the pros and cons of different chiller types, etc.

i say get the fundamentals from papazian, take notes on what you had problems with on your first batches, then use these forums to perfect and develop your own brewing process.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurst View Post
... I wanna know how to do it from the very beginning. I understand that's probably a lot so feel free to direct me to another thread that may have what I'm looking for. I'm in the marines and am in the field for the past month and don't have good enough internet to do a lot of searching. Thanks, I hope to be brewing by the time I get home.
Welcome new brewer and THANX FOR YOUR SERVICE!! The two books already mentioned are great, also know that the deeper you get to "the very beginning" you'll need more equipment and more time/labor is needed. Some people think the very beginning is growing your own everything.

Brew on my friends

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
baystatebrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

damn didn't see you're in the marines until now. right on man. come home safe and thanks for your service. hope you're back home and brewing soon!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Funny how most people start with kits, Mr. Beer or Coopers (myself included, so blame me too) and then realize this could be fun if more control to the process was given and start looking for other sources and alternatives. It's the wrong start, since the books should be the first step to understand it before buying anything but it is the most common start.

Anyway, I guess you can't go wrong with Palmer or Papazian, but I went for Palmer because a lot of home brewers told me his book is more contemporary, less reluctant to new concepts.

Quick Reply