Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to brewing....using coopers kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
RAKBREW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to brewing....using coopers kit

Hi all, just starting to home brew. I have seen alot of posts about people who started with Mr. Beer kits, but none about Coopers (maybe I have not looked in the right areas?) I have a couple of questions and maybe some can help me out.

1) Coopers says you can bottle after 4-7 days, but I have read in other posts to let it be in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks before bottling. Any advice?

2) Coopers also says when bottling to leave 2 inches of head space, using a filling tube how much space should I leave? when removing the the bottle from the tube give me the 2 inches?

Any help or advice would be great, my first batch is brewing now and all seems to be going fine so far!

Thanks VTBREW

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I have not used coopers kits. If you go on Youtube and do a search for Craigtube. He has tons of brewing videos and he mainly used Coopers kits.

That being said...

1. I wait 2-3 weeks before bottling.

2. If you have a bottling wand if you fill it to the top once you pull out the wand it leaves the perfect amount of head space. I think tubing to the bottom would be about the same.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 to maxamuuses answers

Old 09-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

+1 more. bottling wand til it overflows and you'll have the perfect amount of headspace.

let it sit for at least 2 weeks before thinking of bottling. you may be sorry if you try it sooner.

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started out watching craigtube and did my first batch with the coopers kit. comes with everything you need to make a decent batch of beer, but let it ferment a week longer than the instructions say. fill the bottles to the top just before they overflow than pull out, leaves about an inch of headspace. The kit came with an austrailian lager, taste like a bud or miller and I won't drink it so I save it for friends who like that style of beer.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

RAKBREW, I've brewed a couple of Coopers kits. I let it sit for 3 weeks (no secondary), bottled, then sit for another three weeks. I filled it 2" from the bottom of the cap and it turned out fine. All the Coopers kits come with the lager. Since you'll have to put some water in the fermentor to check for leaks, experiment with the bottling wand. I disagree with superjunior, I wouldn't say it tasted anything like Bud or Miller, it was much better.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I brewed many beers using coopers gear/kits in the near past. Couple of things:

1- I was never lucky with the dry ale yeast packet that comes with their kits. I could tell fermentation was going on by the SG readings and presence of small bubbles in the airlock liquid, but there was never active bubbling. Although the SG after the recommended fermentation time was stable (1 week), I got much better results in terms of taste by leaving it fermenting for 2 weeks.
2- Absolutely do not let it fermenter in temperatures too high, like higher than 75F. Their kits give a very peculiar after taste that I'm almost positive it is created by fermenting in to high temperatures based on my results. Probably it has to do with the quality of their yeast.
3- Prolonged time in the bottle (2 months) also helps considerably with the flavor but that is probably true with any kind of beer making style.
4- The beers from coopers kit do not taste like commercial American lagers like bud at all!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
RAKBREW
Recipes 

Thanks to all for the helpful hints........very new to this and still have alot to learn!

The waiting is the hardest part.........but I think I'll try bottling after 3 weeks, and let condition for 3 more weeks, then give it a taste!

Skole

Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
HerotBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I haven't used a Cooper's kit, but when I started my first batch I read and then ignored the instructions that came with my ingredients and followed John Palmer's instructions.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Andy_LV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKBREW View Post
Thanks to all for the helpful hints........very new to this and still have alot to learn!

The waiting is the hardest part.........but I think I'll try bottling after 3 weeks, and let condition for 3 more weeks, then give it a taste!

Skole
I was naive and thinking same thing - ended up bottling my first batch after 10 days and drinking week later - it still was great beer!

for Cooper's kits, in my opinion, 2 weeks in primary is enough for most simple beers (like lager+brew enhancer1) if you ferment at 22-24C and everything goes smoothly, I have noticed that fermentation is 80% done in week, and letting it sit there for week more will clear beer and compact the yeast on the bottom. I hit 3 week mark in primary fermenter only once when I had rather heavy brew - OG 1.057 (still went down to 1.010 in week!) and did some dryhopping during second week.

Anyway, take gravity readings - if you have Cooper's kit - you can take it directly from tap - slowly pouring into test tube. Have a taste after reading.
If beer looks crisp clear and you get same reading 3 days in a row, you can bottle it.

Just dont panic, Coopers make nice beer kits, its really hard to mess those up!

Quick Reply