Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to brewing. Please help!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
maxwell89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to brewing. Please help!?

Hi guy n gals. New to brewing , I've just bought a starter kit fairly cheap, along with 40 pints of Mexican cerveza, I have followed the instructions and so far all is well. However I am not new to useing a hydrometer, my beer have now been formenting for 5 days , and I have a reading of 1000 , so pretty much finished formenting. , I'm not to sure what the procedure is from now. Some people say leave to to clear for a few weeks before bottleing , others say bottle it now , add half a tea spoon of sugar , and leave to 'chill' for 2 weeks. Can someone tell me what the procedure is from once the beer has finished formenting ?! Thanks guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1836 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Once it reaches FG,I give it another 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation. It's also settling out clear or slightly misty at this point. Bulk priming is better if you have a bottling bucket,the one with the spigot.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
BiloxiBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

At this point, I personally put the beer into a secondary and add Knox gelatin for a few days. It helps clarify the beer prior to bottling. (in addition to cold crashing). Just my opinion.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
maxwell89
Recipes 

Cheers guys. Muchly appreciated!! Least I know the basics so hopefuly my first batch won't be too bad ! Notice the 'too' in that sentence ha! , I've heard Irish moss is a good thinking agent to clear ur homebrew. Any of you guy recommend this? If so how and when to add to the fermenter ? Once again. Thanks for all your info and help !

Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell89 View Post
Cheers guys. Muchly appreciated!! Least I know the basics so hopefuly my first batch won't be too bad ! Notice the 'too' in that sentence ha! , I've heard Irish moss is a good thinking agent to clear ur homebrew. Any of you guy recommend this? If so how and when to add to the fermenter ? Once again. Thanks for all your info and help !
Irish Moss is added to the boil with about 10 - 15 minutes left, not the fermenter. I use Whirfloc tablets, it's the same thing. It helps to clump the break material together for easier clearing in the fermenter. I'm a fan, you don't have to use much and it does help.

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 12-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
maxwell89
Recipes 

Cheered guys. I've heard pectolase helps clear, will this help clear my larger? Or is pectolase only used for clearing wine ? Sorry about maybe obvious questions. But once I know I know!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I'm not sure but I suspect that pectolase is only useful for removing the haze left by cooking fruit. I had bad pectin haze in an apple ale I made because I cooked applesauce to put in it.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

5 days is not long enough and you should leave the beer in the primary vessel for at least another week to allow the yeast to "clean up" and clear the beer. Since this is your first go around I would personally forget about using any fining agents. The beer should clear itself nicely without it.

As for bottling, you are much better off bulk priming the entire batch so read this thread and you will learn everything you need to know about bottling, conditioning, and most importantly, being patient
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...ebrewer-94812/

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
maxwell89
Recipes 

U guys are awsome. So helpful !! I shall let u knowww things turn out !

Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
maxwell89
Recipes 

Anyone know how long beer takes to carbonate from when u add sugar to the bottles ? Unfortunately couldn't bulk prime so as my first go went with the teaspoon on sugar to each bottle , however the next batch will be bulk primed!

Quick Reply