Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to brewing, looking for advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Piper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to brewing, looking for advice

I want to start brewing up some of my own beer but I'm not sure where to begin. Should I get a kit? What type of beer is good for my first brew? I like Abbey's and Heifenweizen's, but not sure if those would be good for my first brewing experience. I was thinking maybe an IPA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
Majikcook
Recipes 

Hey Piper,
I'm new too, but as you will quickly learn, this is a captivating hobby!
What kind of equipment do you have? Single stage, two stage or nothing yet?
I am actually drinking a IPA now, which was my second batch and if I do say, it is excellant!

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa

Old 03-19-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
wwgiese
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper
I want to start brewing up some of my own beer but I'm not sure where to begin. Should I get a kit? What type of beer is good for my first brew? I like Abbey's and Heifenweizen's, but not sure if those would be good for my first brewing experience. I was thinking maybe an IPA?
You begin by getting a book and reading it. The complete handbook of home brewing by dave miller would be my suggestion. Then you will have a better idea of what to start with and how to do it well.Your right about abbeys and heife they would be a bad choice for first brew. An ale is a good first beer but hefewiesen takes a little more expertise.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:46 AM   #4
Piper
Recipes 

Thanks, I'll check out that book, should I buy a kit too?

Old 03-21-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Read the book so you understand the process a bit and then you can decide whether or not to buy a kit. The instuctions and ingredients in many kits are terrible and have discouraging results. It's a much better idea to know what you're doing than to buy a kit and expect good beer to be as easy to make as Kool-Aid (it isn't, but many kits would have you think so). You'll benefit greatly from understanding what's going on.

Read some more in this forum and online. Once you have some more specific questions, post em here. Cheers!

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-21-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When you ask"should you buy a kit" are you refering to an ingredient kit, or an equipment kit? You can usually get a deal on equipment kits. My HBS sells one for 75 and it comes with papizans book.Look for something like that for an equipment kit.

I like finding recipes and buying the ingredients rather than kits. Then i know its fresh....also, my HBS doesnt even sell kits for that reason. I think im pretty lucky to have such a nice supplier though. They have lots of stock, and fresh ingredients. Any way you go about getting into it, read up on it first so you understand what, and why your doing what you do.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
hawktrap74
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you and your hbs employee/owner can construct a "kit" with fresher ingredients than the box kind. i read the joy of brewing and that is a pretty good reference book. try using dme(dry malt extract) instead of liquid and try lots of different hops.
once u get the basic brewing techniques down the skys the limit. remember its not rocket science so just have fun, and reap the benifits,boy oh boy reap the benifits.

If you have to buy the watered down version then why drink in the first place.

Jay1 Likes This 
Old 04-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd also take the time to look at John Palmer's online version of his book, How To Brew. Lot's of good information and, best of all, it's free!

Old 04-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
Buddhabuddha
Recipes 

my setup was given to me as a gift, but the "Gifter" went to my LHBS and had the guy there walk through step by step to build the setup... AND a set of ingredients..
has worked great so far, and the HBS guy is now getting entirely TOOOOO much of my money..!!!

But Damn is this fun!

Primary= Dos Equis Style Lager
Primary= Chilean Merlot
Secondary= APE cider...(apple grape)
Bottles=A late "Oktoberfest"
Bottles= American Lite (gotta keep the wife happy)
Bottles= Hard Cider! (um yeah, got hammered while bottling these)
Bottles= couple of these, couple of those...

"Yeah, why don't I go eat some hay. I can make things out of clay, or lay by the bay, I just may. Whaddya say?."

Old 04-27-2005, 01:56 AM   #10
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

What I did was contact my HBS and order a starter kit of equipment and a store recipe total about $100. These were recipes the store had which included the ingredients and instructions of how to make the batch. Of course I read Homebrewing for Dummies along the way and checked out a few online articles.

Quick Reply