Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to Brewing which Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
DevB22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to Brewing which Kit?

Hello,

I am very new to brewing! I am very committed to trying it out, and would like to know where/what is the best kit for a beginner?

I have checked the forums, but have not gotten a final answer.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
kforest236
Recipes 

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/RecipeKits.aspx?SubCat=110 The honey bee ale was my second batch. Very easy and tasty.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Kai

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Austin Homebrew has a great rep for its recipes, though I can't testify to that firsthand. It has a pretty extensive list of commercial clones, too. Check them out.
Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Old 02-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What kind of beer do you want to brew? All the major online HBS have decent kits.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If you are talking ingredients kit, I would start with an "extract with grains" ale kit from a homebrew supply house that puts together tried and true recipe ingredients for you. The links below are to the index of recipe kits from some online suppliers:

MoreBeer
Austin Homebrew Supply
HopTech
Midwest Homebrew

Pick an ale that sounds like what you would want to drink and order the recipe kit. You will need a yeast to go with it -- for starting out, order a dry yeast and get two (or three) spare packages.

If you don't have any equipment, you can look at those same sites for a beginner's kit of equipment. Normally the equipment kits do not come with a brew pot. For partial boil extract with grains, five gallons is nice but you can easily do it in a three gallon (12 quart) pot as well. Just boil about 2.5 gallons of water and top off. You don't need a secondary fermenter but they are nice to have; personally I prefer the plastic Better Bottle carboys over the glass and I think most of the suppliers will substitute (may affect price, I don't know). But others will (correctly) tell you that with care you can use glass for years without any problems . . . I just worry about the high consequences that might occur should there be a slip with a full glass carboy. You will also need a grain bag for steeping the specialty grains, though you can "brew your own" (pun intended) with a large piece of cheesecloth.

I would also take a look at the site where John Palmer has the first edition of his book How to Brew available online. The first of the links below is for brewing a very simple extract, a Cincinnati Pale Ale. The second link talks about adding specialty grains. You can use whatever ingredients kit you buy and follow the process Palmer outlines.

Extract Recipe
Specialty Grains

The above sections will get you started, but the more of the book you read the more you will understand what you are doing. I would suggest ordering the book as well. It gets you the latest edition and it is handy to have around. The one thing I would ignore in the Palmer specialty grain section is the line on removing the steeped grains: " Remove the grain bag from the pot, giving it a squeeze to drain the excess wort and avoid dripping on the stove." Don't squeeze it; I think doing so can cause harsh tannins to be released into the wort. What I (now) do is to put the grain bag in a strainer that I sit over the brew kettle and let drain for about a minute.

Good luck!

Rick

Old 02-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R
If you are talking ingredients kit, I would start with an "extract with grains" ale kit from a homebrew supply house that puts together tried and true recipe ingredients for you. The links below are to the index of recipe kits from some online suppliers:

MoreBeer
Austin Homebrew Supply
HopTech
Midwest Homebrew

Pick an ale that sounds like what you would want to drink and order the recipe kit. You will need a yeast to go with it -- for starting out, order a dry yeast and get two (or three) spare packages.

If you don't have any equipment, you can look at those same sites for a beginner's kit of equipment. Normally the equipment kits do not come with a brew pot. For partial boil extract with grains, five gallons is nice but you can easily do it in a three gallon (12 quart) pot as well. Just boil about 2.5 gallons of water and top off. You don't need a secondary fermenter but they are nice to have; personally I prefer the plastic Better Bottle carboys over the glass and I think most of the suppliers will substitute (may affect price, I don't know). But others will (correctly) tell you that with care you can use glass for years without any problems . . . I just worry about the high consequences that might occur should there be a slip with a full glass carboy. You will also need a grain bag for steeping the specialty grains, though you can "brew your own" (pun intended) with a large piece of cheesecloth.

I would also take a look at the site where John Palmer has the first edition of his book How to Brew available online. The first of the links below is for brewing a very simple extract, a Cincinnati Pale Ale. The second link talks about adding specialty grains. You can use whatever ingredients kit you buy and follow the process Palmer outlines.

Extract Recipe
Specialty Grains

The above sections will get you started, but the more of the book you read the more you will understand what you are doing. I would suggest ordering the book as well. It gets you the latest edition and it is handy to have around. The one thing I would ignore in the Palmer specialty grain section is the line on removing the steeped grains: " Remove the grain bag from the pot, giving it a squeeze to drain the excess wort and avoid dripping on the stove." Don't squeeze it; I think doing so can cause harsh tannins to be released into the wort. What I (now) do is to put the grain bag in a strainer that I sit over the brew kettle and let drain for about a minute.

Good luck!

Rick

Hey rick, this is a great piece of N00B advice...

How bout you post it in the new n00b sticky we've been working on

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken

Recipes 

Quote:
How bout you post it in the new n00b sticky we've been working on
olllllo asked for bullet-type items for that thread, and what I put together didn't fit the bill; I have saved it on my computer, though. Having just recently been (back) through the process myself, it was easy to know what one would want to know.

Rick

Quick Reply