The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to the brewing hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Know any bars owners or employees well enough to ask then to save some pry off bottles for you? Or just get two cases and call some friends up (i like buying 750ml beers, as long as they're pry off you can still cap them, and it's easier at bottling time). A case of good beer = $25, a case of bottles = $14, so be thrifty and recycle

you can get caps, $5 for 144, and a Capper, $15, from amazon. An Oxy clean bath will take the labels off, just rinse well after, and either soaking in a bleach solution, or baking in the oven will sanitize them in loo of starSan.

Congrats on the hobby, and don't worry about bottling right when the kit says it's done, i age most of mine for 3 or 4 weeks before bottling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
dkeller12
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Get some StarSan, that is a great no rinse sanitizer and one bottle make gallons of cleaner so it lasts a while. As for bottles, you can order them online from places like NorthernBrewer.com or Midwestsupplies.com for like $12 a case if buying them is an option. You can also just leave the beer in the fermenter for a few more weeks and buy a bunch of beer, drink it and save the bottles. Just make sure that you only purchase pry off bottles and not twist off.

I would definitely consider upgrading from the Mr. Beer kits as you can really make great beer when you expand beyond them. Welcome to the obsession, trust me you will understand that soon enough, and good luck with the first batch.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #13
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

make sure to talk to the people at the homebrew store. they've usually been brewing for years, and all brewers love to impart knowledge to the fledgling brewer. in other words, go there with a list of questions, and ask them everything you can think of. they'll probably be very happy to answer.

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 11-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Wow! this is a uber awsome fourm! Thanks for all you help! I cant beleive i have not thought of trying this before.

Question: The kit says to pour some the the mead out and look at it for clearness and a flat taste. So My frist reaction was to open the lid and look at it and smell... it looked great and smelled awsome. Then.... I started to think... ummm... should i have not removed that lid?

Michael

Old 11-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBeer View Post
Great ideas!

I found a local brew shop! I will drop by tomorrow after work and pick up a few bottles.

I think i will find some local brew clubs, maybe i will find one that does wine too. My second half is not a beer drinker... more of a wine drinker. hahaha
If you live in a State where there is a bottle deposit try any beverage distributors in the area. I got all my bottles (over 400) that way and for less than 2 bucks a case.

Make sure they are not screw top beer bottles and try for brown rather than clear glass. Mine are all Sam Adams bottles.

Soak overnight in oxy clean (unscented) and the labels and inner crud should float off into the soak. Inspect and if needed brush out any visible stuff.

Rinse well and drip dry. On bottling day a quick spray into each bottle with StarSan then fill with beer. Look into getting a vinator for spraying the inside of your bottles. A bottling tree is a ver handy item as well.

Once they have been in your pipeline all you need to do is rinse each one out after you empty it and save for the next brew.

bosco

Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBeer
Wow! this is a uber awsome fourm! Thanks for all you help! I cant beleive i have not thought of trying this before.

Question: The kit says to pour some the the mead out and look at it for clearness and a flat taste. So My frist reaction was to open the lid and look at it and smell... it looked great and smelled awsome. Then.... I started to think... ummm... should i have not removed that lid?

Michael
No you're fine, typically i tell people to mess with their beer as little as possible, because every time you do you risk introducing oxygen our something that's unclean and contaminates your beer.

But in reality beer is pretty hardy, after all if they could make it 6000 years ago, how hard could it be. It's still a concern and a risk whenever you take the top of and draw a sample or whatever, but it's not a huge problem, just practice good sanitation with all your equipment.

the yeast in your beer are converting sugars into co2 and alcohol, co2 is heavier than oxygen, so after your beer has fermented, there's a later of co2 over the beer keeping oxygen out. Just don't open it up and slosh it around.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 656 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
My brew is going to be done in a few days(1-2) and i have no bottles...

So i am going to order some from MrBeer. Unless you guys know a better place.
I haven't needed bottles in a long time, but if I did, here's what I would do:

My province charges a 10 cent deposit per bottle on beer, and when you return the empties to the Beer Store, you get back 5 cents per bottle.

So I'd just go park in front of the Beer Store, and wait for someone to pull up to return a couple cases of bottles I wanted. Then I'd offer them roughly double what the refund is (they'd get back $1.20 for a case of 24 bottles, I'd offer them $2).

Quote:
Question: What do you guys do to sterilize your equipment and bottles?
PBW or OxyClean to clean, Star-San to sanitize.

I soak my bottles in a bath of hot PBW (this also causes the labels to float off), then rinse well with cold water and place on a bottle drying tree until I'm ready to bottle. At bottling time, I dunk each bottle in a pail of Star-San, give it a little swish, dump out the Star-San and fill the bottle.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:06 AM   #18
ssult1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got all my bottles used from the liquor store. Only had to pay the 10 cent deposit per bottle. There is some elbow grease involved to clean the bottles and get the old labels off. But I think $2.40 per case of bottles is hard to beat.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Went to the local brew shop today, Picked up a 5gallon mix of Thomas Coopers Wheat Beer. and a 1 lb of santi/Cleaner Mix.

I bottled my Mr Beer batch last night. I wanted to use 1 TSP of Table sugar to see how it taste so i have something to compare to later on.

I am going to continue to use my Mr Beer brewing Barrel till i feel confident in my self. I was going to pick up a 3Gallon Carboy with a temp thermometer but decided to hold off till i see what this batch turns out.

On the back of the Coopers Wheat Beer Mix it says " We recommend Mixing this brew with 300G of Dextrose/Sugar. What can i use for this?

Michael

Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

as someone who has been married longer than you have been alive (omg, i'm old), congrats on the wedding, and the homebrew hobby.

you should occasionally try making a nice honey mead. wine drinkers often like those.

get her involved in the hobby, and take turns making stuff you each like.

and have fun.

good gried i'm old

Quick Reply