Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to the brewing hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
BakerBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

Default New to the brewing hobby

Hello,

My name is Michael and i am new to the hobby of brewing. I am 30years old and enjoy a great tasting wheat beer! My wife and i just got married and for a wedding gift some one got me, Yep! You guessed it! a Mr. beer brewing kit.

Last week Wed i started my first brew! I tasted this evening (8 days from the beginning) and it taste flat. So from what i read its done! time for bottling! However! its still a little cloudy so i am going to give it another day or 2 and see if it clears up ever so slightly.

I have read some nice post on here regarding the bottling phase. So no table sugar huh? any other suggestions?

Also, if this turns out good, i may buy a few more cans off Mr beer and try again. maybe get a small home kit off line of a little better quality.

Any ways! i look to you beer gods! any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
innocent75
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Welcome to the addiction, er, I mean hobby.

I have done some table sugar to prime. Didn't by any means ruin a batch. Not ideal but assuming you used the mr beer ingredients you may not have a whole lot of ideal options.

I generally use corn sugar or dried malt extract (DME). I have also used carb drops. They are little tablets that resemble a cough drop. If you have a homebrew shop close by stop in and buy some corn sugar or DME. If not use table sugar. It is your first batch and it is a fun way to learn what changing certain things will do to the final product.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Welcome! A buddy of mine has been using his Mr. Beer for years and loves it. It's a great way to get into the hobby.

The easiest thing to use is either dextrose (corn sugar/priming sugar) or carb tabs which you can get from local home brew stores or online. Otherwise, for a wheat beer, you can also use about 1.5-2oz (by weight) of honey added to an equal amount of hot, sterile water, though it takes a much longer time to carbonate than the first two options since the yeast has to work harder to break down the sugars in honey. It'll give your beer a nice background flavor, though.

Welcome again and I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Thanks for the welcome!

Well right now i am in a small pickle... My brew is going to be done in a few days(1-2) and i have no bottles...

So i am going to order some from MrBeer. Unless you guys know a better place.

Question: What do you guys do to sterilize your equipment and bottles?

Michael

Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
alyanddrew
Recipes 

star san has worked for me. I've only done three batches, but so far so good! And just so you know, it's sanitized, not sterilized

Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBeer View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Well right now i am in a small pickle... My brew is going to be done in a few days(1-2) and i have no bottles...

The liquor store sells bottles. Buy 2 cases and you'll have a few days to drink the contents to make room for your beer.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 589 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerBeer
Thanks for the welcome!

Question: What do you guys do to sterilize your equipment and bottles?

Michael

In a pinch you can run the bottles through the dishwasher (No soap). Starsan is better, but hard to find.

Its there a homebrew store near you? You can get bottles and Starsan there.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Additionally, if you don't get bottles for another week or even more it's not really a problem. You'll see when reading more that lots of beers are left in primary or secondary for long-long times and they get even better. Same goes for bottle aging. YES, you're going to try one a week or 2 after bottling to try it, but leaving it in there longer and longer will mostly make it better.

WELCOME!

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
bsheck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

google around to see if there is a homebrew club or other homebrewers in your area. If so, join them. Ask if anyone needs to get rid of extra bottles, and you very likely will get offered what you need at zero cost.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
BakerBeer
Recipes 

Great ideas!

I found a local brew shop! I will drop by tomorrow after work and pick up a few bottles.

I think i will find some local brew clubs, maybe i will find one that does wine too. My second half is not a beer drinker... more of a wine drinker. hahaha

Quick Reply