The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New brewers.Stop trying to doctor your beer !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #71
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansen_sh View Post
Isn't THIS ^^^^ really the whole point.

My guess (and only a guess 'cause I wouldn't wan't to come off sounding like a know it all noob) is that just as many experiments end up making crappy beer and they say "my next batch I will ..." rather than quitting all together.

I would also add that experiments that go sideways are easier to choke down in smaller batches. Live and learn, right?
Yeah.

But it takes me almost as long to make 1 gallon as it takes to make 5.

and my brew days are too infrequent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #72
monkeybox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But going back to the cooking analogy. Coming up with a balanced and tasty recipe takes some understanding of things...just like cooking...dumping a cup of salt will more than likely ruin a recipe...so if you cook, you KNOW not to do that...it's the same with brewing...you get an idea with experience and looking at recipes, brewing and playing with software how things work..what flavors work with each other, etc...
I like the cooking metaphor, because I'm one hell of a cook, but still a homebrew newb. I didn't learn to be a great cook by following recipes exactly. I became a great cook by looking at a lot of recipes, reading about various techniques, and assembling them into something that makes sense to me. I've never been one to follow recipes exactly, and I've made some pretty big mistakes and some godawful dishes that resulted in ordering pizza.

I don't see why I'd go about homebrewing any differently. I read up on what others have done, read a bunch of different recipes, read about others' techniques and what has worked/hasn't worked for them, and then I put something together myself that I think will work.

If my beer doesn't turn out, I'm probably going to post about it to try to figure out what I did wrong, and I hope you'll explain to me where I added salt instead of sugar or why this or that hop wasn't the right choice. I expect this will teach me how to make great beer that I love a lot faster than if I were to make 100 gallons of good beer that somebody else likes, and that's really where I want to be. I want to make my beer.

I think I'm the same as that other guy: I can't resist making the beer my own, so the half dozen kits I've made have probably all had a variation of some sort. Some have turned out excellent, and the best you can say about some of the others is that they were drinkable.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #73
barmyarmy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I read the first few threads and skipped to the end. Why do people care what anybody does with the beer they make. The people who innovate and try new things will tell the haters what to like in due time, be patient.
P.S
VIVA LA SECONDARY!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #74
Knecht_Rupprecht
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybox
I like the cooking metaphor, because I'm one hell of a cook, but still a homebrew newb. I didn't learn to be a great cook by following recipes exactly. I became a great cook by looking at a lot of recipes, reading about various techniques, and assembling them into something that makes sense to me. I've never been one to follow recipes exactly, and I've made some pretty big mistakes and some godawful dishes that resulted in ordering pizza.

I don't see why I'd go about homebrewing any differently. I read up on what others have done, read a bunch of different recipes, read about others' techniques and what has worked/hasn't worked for them, and then I put something together myself that I think will work.

If my beer doesn't turn out, I'm probably going to post about it to try to figure out what I did wrong, and I hope you'll explain to me where I added salt instead of sugar or why this or that hop wasn't the right choice. I expect this will teach me how to make great beer that I love a lot faster than if I were to make 100 gallons of good beer that somebody else likes, and that's really where I want to be. I want to make my beer.

I think I'm the same as that other guy: I can't resist making the beer my own, so the half dozen kits I've made have probably all had a variation of some sort. Some have turned out excellent, and the best you can say about some of the others is that they were drinkable.
I think brewing is more like baking than cooking. Cooking is far more forgiving and requires less deep understanding of the process to innovate. That said I am a strong cook now because when I was younger I made some ****ty food. I still ate most of it, just like newbs will drink most 'passable' beer. Lastly, most food you make didn't take 4-8 weeks so it is only natural to want to confirm with an experienced community what exactly happened.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #75
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmyarmy View Post
Why do people care what anybody does with the beer they make.
Why do you care what we care about?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #76
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

What's the point of this thread??? If the OP doesn't like noobs 'experimenting' and then coming into this BEGINNERS Beer Brewing Forum to find out what they may have done wrong, don't come into the BEGINNERS Beer Brewing Forum?! Is someone forcing the OP to come into this forum to read all of these supposedly torturous posts from noobs who screw up their brews after 'experimenting'??? Thankfully, there are enough sensible experienced brewers on this site who don't mind taking the time to help out us noobs when we have questions about our brews or concerns about things we may have screwed up. I suppose the OP never had any questions about what he was doing when he started the hobby?!

I love this forum for all of the great advice I get and all of the helpful experienced members and the many things I have learned, but some of the 'Know it alls' like the OP can make this site downright unreadable at times...

Old 08-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #77
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Boysenberry syrup.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #78
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
What's the point of this thread??? If the OP doesn't like noobs 'experimenting' and then coming into this BEGINNERS Beer Brewing Forum to find out what they may have done wrong, don't come into the BEGINNERS Beer Brewing Forum?! Is someone forcing the OP to come into this forum to read all of these supposedly torturous posts from noobs who screw up their brews after 'experimenting'??? Thankfully, there are enough sensible experienced brewers on this site who don't mind taking the time to help out us noobs when we have questions about our brews or concerns about things we may have screwed up. I suppose the OP never had any questions about what he was doing when he started the hobby?!

I love this forum for all of the great advice I get and all of the helpful experienced members and the many things I have learned, but some of the 'Know it alls' like the OP can make this site downright unreadable at times...
What's the point of getting so worked up about it? It's called having a conversation....One that happens on here just about once a year.....No point in getting your cranked yanked about what the OP does or doesn't believe.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #79
dnslater
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My first batch ever was a Brewers Best Irish stout kit. I added blue mountain coffee and it was awesome. My second kit was a Witbier. Added Chamomile tea and 25 batches later my wife swears it was the best ever. The ability to customize is part of what attracted me to the hobby. I understand the need to get the basics down and all that, but let's not take it too seriously.

Trash Paper Brew Werks

Shirts and stuff

Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #80
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmyarmy View Post
I read the first few threads and skipped to the end. Why do people care what anybody does with the beer they make. The people who innovate and try new things will tell the haters what to like in due time, be patient.
P.S
VIVA LA SECONDARY!!!!!!
Well, sure, people innovate and that's cool.

I think the point was more that people start brewing to make unusual and unique sounding things. But without a solid basis, you don't know if the off-flavor is from underpitching, fermenting too hot, bad water, aged extract, spoiled hops, or from the 3 pounds of tea leaves that the brewer added to make the beer "his own"!

As an example, today there is a post (and I never want to call anybody out, this is NOT about that!) that says something like "My first kit is arriving and I ordered XXX kit with it. What can I add to make this kit unique?".

Well, the problem is that the kit may or may not be perfectly fine on its own. It might be an awesome oatmeal stout (or whatever type of kit it is). But by "making it your own" and adding a pound of lingonberries, no one will ever know.

Then, the brewer posts the very next question: "My beer tastes like crap! Why?" Well, it could be the 90 degree fermentation temperature, chlorinated water, not boiling the wort, and/or the pound of lingonberries.

I think that is more the point. Experimenting is a blast, and a great part of the hobby. But when you start a new hobby, maybe going wild may have to wait until you've been doing the hobby for a month or two. No one starts a sky diving hobby with, "Well, I think I'm going to try making my own chute, 'cuz I wanna be unique!" Of course, that's a deadly mistake so not really a great analogy, but that's sort of like starting any hobby in a way.

First learn a bit about the hobby, and then take your knowledge and go your own way.
People Like This 

Quick Reply