HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Brewer with Wort cooling issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Sean187
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Brewer with Wort cooling issue

I'm brewing my first batch of beer. However, it's taking forever for my wort to cool below 80 degrees. What will happen if it takes hours to cool? Also, I filled my fermenting bucket a little over 5 gallons. What impact with this have on my final product. I'm doing an English Import, Irish Ale. Any suggestions, thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
rasherb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So it's sitting in the fermenter at what temp? What's the room temp?

If you can make a run for a couple bags of ice, you can stick the fermenter in the bathtub and fill with ice and cool water. If you can't get ice, you can still stick the fermenter in the tub and fill the tub with cold water, drain and repeat.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
Sean187
Recipes 

Temp of the wort is in high 90s, and room temp is 70. I have it setting in an ice bath as we speak.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
LordHedgie
Recipes 

There's nothing wrong with the ice bath. The problems are threefold:

(1) Certain chemicals (DMS) can form at temperatures between the boiling and fermentation temperature, thus you want to minimize this time. This is, IMHO, overblown, based on the large number of people who let wort cool over several hours.
(2) Infections can take place during this time. Overblown again -- infections can occur at almost any temperature.
(3) It's annoying to wait to pitch the yeast. Valid. I've stayed up late more than a few times....

As long as you're sanitizing everything, there's nothing wrong with putting the fermenting in an ice bath (with an airlock), and pitching yeast in the morning. You may find, however, after a few brews the cost of a chiller seems worth the price. I picked up a plate chiller for about $75 that will chill 5 gallons to 70 degrees in a few short minutes. This makes brewing much nicer....

Old 09-10-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've been too cheap to buy a chiller, but when I can afford it I'm getting one. I have always done the ice bath and it's taken hours. I used to buy ice then stopped and just used an ice pack. One it gets to 100 or so it goes in the freezer to speed up the process (still takes a while). My beers have been great, so yours should be too.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHedgie View Post
(3) It's annoying to wait to pitch the yeast. Valid. I've stayed up late more than a few times....
I believe this is the largest driving factor for chilling quickly, I simply use the IC for a few minutes until the wort is down to say 100, then drain to the fermentor and take it to the cellar, where it cools overnight. If you do this you need to put vodka in the airlock as there will be suck back. In the morning I pitch.

Oh yea forgot, take your hydrometer sample as you drain to the fermentor and let it cool somewhere also.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Try putting your pot in ice water and using a wort chiller, I can get down to pitching temp in about 20 minutes. If you're not doing full 5 gallon boils and have double kitchen sinks, fill one with ice water and put the pot in it. When that water warms up move the pot to the other sink with ice water and go back and forth.

I agree with the above posters though, it's just annoying waiting for it to cool enough to pitch the yeast, I don't really worry about infection.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5431 Times on 3912 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

If you're doing partial boils (boiling say 3 gallons and then adding water to get to 5 gallons), try chilling the boiled wort first in a water bath in the sink. Once it's below 90 degrees (takes about 20 minutes), then add it to the fermenter and then add chilled top off water.

If you boil the wort, then add water, it'll take forever to cool down. A smaller volume cools much quicker.

Vote for me for the AHA Governing Committee- Lorena Evans
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ttee/election/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Sithdad
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Aren't there proteins that coagulate when rapidly chilled and that's one of the reasons why the wort is chilled as quickly as possible? I am pretty sure I read this in Palmer's book and he referred to it as "the cold break".

Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5431 Times on 3912 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithdad View Post
Aren't there proteins that coagulate when rapidly chilled and that's one of the reasons why the wort is chilled as quickly as possible? I am pretty sure I read this in Palmer's book and he referred to it as "the cold break".
Yes. It looks like wads of scum. But it's a good thing!

Vote for me for the AHA Governing Committee- Lorena Evans
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ttee/election/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply