Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Brewer Question: Wort-to strain or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
rene
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Brewer Question: Wort-to strain or not?

Greetings everyone and Happy New Year.

i received a beer brewing kit (TrueBrew) for X-mas and have brewed my first batch (a Newcastle style dark Ale). I've already gotten bitten by the brewing bug and anticipate brewing a variety of beers on a fairly regular basis. I've also purchased a glass carboy and the Charlie Papzian book.

My question is this: in the Papazian book he instructs one to strain the wort before putting it in the fermenter. I didn't do this (the instructions in my recipe kit didn't say so) and haven't seen, in my limited reading of other material, anyone else suggest this.

What do you folks advise? What would be the difference betweeen allowing the material to remain in the wort as it does primary fermentation vs. straining it out? It seems to me that one would get a more flavorful beer by not straining, but what do I know?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cheers,

Rene

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For your first brew, it's always best to keep things simple. A lot of people just dump everything in the bucket, with no ill effects. Once you've got a few brews under your belt, you can decide whether or not it's worth it to you to strain it.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 01-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rene
Greetings everyone and Happy New Year.

i received a beer brewing kit (TrueBrew) for X-mas and have brewed my first batch (a Newcastle style dark Ale). I've already gotten bitten by the brewing bug and anticipate brewing a variety of beers on a fairly regular basis. I've also purchased a glass carboy and the Charlie Papzian book.

My question is this: in the Papazian book he instructs one to strain the wort before putting it in the fermenter. I didn't do this (the instructions in my recipe kit didn't say so) and haven't seen, in my limited reading of other material, anyone else suggest this.

What do you folks advise? What would be the difference betweeen allowing the material to remain in the wort as it does primary fermentation vs. straining it out? It seems to me that one would get a more flavorful beer by not straining, but what do I know?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cheers,

Rene
For the primary fermentation, some breweries like it to sit on the trub for a week. Same thing in your situation. Its not going to affect the flavor much, because after a week it goes to the secondary and you rack it off of that trub leaving it behind. To make a long story short, your ok

Old 01-05-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have yet to strain the trub going into the primary. From what I have learned, you do not want it to sit on there for a extended period of time...say 2-3 weeks. I let mine ferment out in the primary ~7 days and then transfer to secondary. It will be fine.

Secondary1 -
Secondary2 -
On Tap
Tap1 - Kelly's Rasberry Cream Ale 7/11/07
Tap2 - Black Stap Porter (8/25/07)
Tap3 - Hefeweizen 7/05/07
Waiting for tap\Conditioning
Keg1 -
Keg2 -
Keg3 -
Bottles
-
-

---------------------------------------------------

Old 01-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I use a bazooka filter in the kettle & don't sweat the small stuff. The hop leaves also help remove the hot break. If you are using a lot of whole hops for an IPA, not straining will improve the flavor a bit.

Neither way is bad. Keeping it simple at the beginning is simpler AND it lets you say, "Not bad, but what if I did this next time." Keeps you brewing!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
rene
Recipes 

Thank you all for your very helpful (and prompt!) replies.

I actually wasn't *worried* about it being fine, things seem to going along; the hydrometer readings and, most important, tastes that I've had seem fine. I've now transferred to a secondary glass carboy and will soon bottle.

I was more interested in any general advice you may have about the way the hops and other pieces of stuff will affect the flavor. I don't know anything about this brewing stuff, but I figured that if left in, the trub (is that the correct term for the hops and other solids in the wort?) being in the primary fermentation liquid would probably add to the flavor. I was imagining that if I strained it out when putting the liquid into the fermenter, I'd get a less flavorful brew. What parts of this am I getting wrong/right?

thanks again!

Old 01-06-2006, 03:07 AM   #7
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I have yet to strain mine. I have been at this about a year - ten batches maybe - and there are lots of people who know a heck of a lot more than me who strain their wort, but my beer comes out great. I use a True Brew kit also, thought I will probably get a secondary to try it out. I leave it in the fermenter for two weeks, then right to bottles. Careful siphoning and time to settle will give you nice clear (ish) beers.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:06 AM   #8
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

I recently started doing AG and I was amazed at how much more protien trub I have in the bottom of the pot now. My first batch had half a foot of trub! I had problems with a stuck mash so in order to get it running it didn't filter through the grains quite right.

The second batch though, the sparge went great but I still have at least twice the trub as I used to with LME.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 01-06-2006, 04:22 AM   #9
rene
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Brew
I recently started doing AG a . . . The second batch though, the sparge went great but . . . twice the trub as I used to with LME.
I was wondering, would you be kind enough to tell me what ''AG'' means?

next newbie question, please: how about ''LME''?

and, just to make sure I am understanding this correctly, ''trub'' is the solid material (the sludge) at the bottom and ''sparge'' is the stuff floating around. Or, do I have that backwards? . . . then again, maybe it's all wrong

Rene

Old 01-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #10
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

AG = All Agrain brewing
LME = Liquid malt Extract
DME = Dry Malt Extract

Sparge is using hot water to rinse the grains during lauter (AG brewing)

Trub is the junk on the bottom of your carboy etc.

Check this out, it's a big help for new brewers.
http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

Happy Brewing!

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Quick Reply