New Brewer, and a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertfraser

Reaction score
Greetings!

I've been quietly lurking in the background, learning from you guys every day....

I got a "True Brew" kit for Christmas, and immediately jumped in, and brewed up their "Red Ale" kit.

Everything went pretty well, and I recorded an IG of 1.051 on 12/25, (the directions indicated IG of 1.052-1.054, so I think I'm off to a good start)

Lock began bubbling 12-18 hours later, and stopped a day or two after.

I recorded a gravity of 1.020 on 1/1, and I just got the same read today, on 1/7.
My question is: the kit directions indicated I should expect a FG of 1.012-1.014.

Am I good to bottle, or what do you guys think?

No, I don't think so.

What yeast are you using and temp are you fermenting at? It seems as if your yeast has stalled.

Was it an extract kit? There are many threads on here about extract kits stalling out at 1.020.

Personally I'd give it another week before you bottle it. The yeast may still be cleaning up after themselves and you might get it to drop a couple more points. Even if it doesn't drop anymore in gravity another week isn't going to be a bad thing. Three weeks is a pretty standard time for primary fermentation. Better safe than sorry.

robertfraser said:
Greetings!

I've been quietly lurking in the background, learning from you guys every day....

I got a "True Brew" kit for Christmas, and immediately jumped in, and brewed up their "Red Ale" kit.

Everything went pretty well, and I recorded an IG of 1.051 on 12/25, (the directions indicated IG of 1.052-1.054, so I think I'm off to a good start)

Lock began bubbling 12-18 hours later, and stopped a day or two after.

I recorded a gravity of 1.020 on 1/1, and I just got the same read today, on 1/7.
My question is: the kit directions indicated I should expect a FG of 1.012-1.014.

Am I good to bottle, or what do you guys think?

What are your fermentation temperatures? That can matter. Also, any big changes in temperatures, over 5 degrees in a short time (such as overnight)can sometimes cause he yeast to drop out of suspension and go dormant.

For now, let it go a bit longer. MAYBE gently swirl the fermenter and bring it into a slightly warmer room (around 70 ambient).

It is an extract kit
1 can Muntons Hopped light malt
1 can Muntonsunhopped light malt
4 z Melanoidin Malt Grain
1 pack Muntons Ale Yeast
1 oz hop pellets

What are your fermentation temperatures? That can matter. Also, any big changes in temperatures, over 5 degrees in a short time (such as overnight)can sometimes cause he yeast to drop out of suspension and go dormant.

For now, let it go a bit longer. MAYBE gently swirl the fermenter and bring it into a slightly warmer room (around 70 ambient).

Fermentation temp has been very steady at 68 degrees

I agree with Masterfool, you might wanna try to swirl it (without introducing O2) and raise the temp a few degrees.

Stanleyjw said:
I agree with Masterfool, you might wanna try to swirl it (without introducing O2) and raise the temp a few degrees.

Ok guys,

I swirled as as much as I dared, nad relocated the primary to an area that it eventually raised temp to 73/74 degrees f.

I left it there until tonight.

The gravity is unchanged at all.

Options?

Hello clansman!

When they tell you the FG should be 'x', what they don't tell you is that it is a guess. They also probably don't tell you that the important things you can do to get good attenuation, all need to be done before you pitch the yeast. So at this point, you can swirl it and warm it, but if it doesn't help, then go ahead and bottle.

OK so - the key factors to good attenuation are: a fermentable wort; good aeration of the wort; and good healthy yeast in good amount. With an extract kit, you take what you get as far as fermentablility is concerned. Did you shake the bejeesus out of the jug before you pitched? And Munton's yeast does not have a great reputation, although I've never tried it. Next time, spend a few extra bucks for a pack of US-05.

Above all, don't worry too much about it - this is just one batch, with many more to come. Your next batch will be better, no worries!

Hello clansman!

When they tell you the FG should be 'x', what they don't tell you is that it is a guess. They also probably don't tell you that the important things you can do to get good attenuation, all need to be done before you pitch the yeast. So at this point, you can swirl it and warm it, but if it doesn't help, then go ahead and bottle.

OK so - the key factors to good attenuation are: a fermentable wort; good aeration of the wort; and good healthy yeast in good amount. With an extract kit, you take what you get as far as fermentablility is concerned. Did you shake the bejeesus out of the jug before you pitched? And Munton's yeast does not have a great reputation, although I've never tried it. Next time, spend a few extra bucks for a pack of US-05.

Above all, don't worry too much about it - this is just one batch, with many more to come. Your next batch will be better, no worries!

Greetings Indeed!

are you the rich relative I've always hoped to have? ;)

as far as fermentability, i rehydrated the yeast, and whipped the wort for about 20 seconds with a large whisk.

I guess this batch will go into the bottle tomorrow, and I'll do a batch of "Metedeconk Summer Ale", an extract kit from my LHBS next, and we'll hope for the best!

what do you think?

Metedeconk Summer Brew

GRAINS AMOUNT
Crystal 40L 1.0 lbs.
Pale 0.5 lbs.

EXTRACTS AMOUNT
Pale 1.5 qts.
Adjunct 0.5 qts.

Bittering Hops
Cascade 1.0 oz.

Finishing Hops
Fuggles 1.0 oz.
Irish Moss 1 Scoops

Special Ingredients
Lemon Concentrate 4 oz.
(added at bottling)

thank all of you guys for your input and interest

I have had similer results regarding gravity on my True Brew pale ale kit. 3 weeks later still air coming out blowoff tube and gravity still higher than expected.

After I followed the kit instructions while brewing I now know better. True brew kit instructions are off a bit.

Thanks, gentlemen, it all went into the bottles on Saturday am.

I filed a 16oz plastic coke botlle for a laugh, and within 24 hours, it had firmed up nicely, and is the beer is getting clearer every day.

Back