New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Brewer Question




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
billk911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 100
Default New Brewer Question

Ok, this may be a dumb question but I am a noob. I have done 2 extract kits which included making a 2 gallon wort and mixing it with 3+ gallond of water. Now I have a 7 gallon anchor steam ale clone recipe to do. I was told to do the entire boil (7 gallons) all at once without mixing. Do I just do everything the same that I have done in the past but with a 7 gallon boil and no mixing? I was told that mixing all at once would make it a claner beer..



__________________
billk911 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,702
Liked 3869 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Default

If you have a pot that can boil that much, and a way to chill that much wort (most people don't when they start out), then you certainly can do that. If you can only boil 3 gallons of wort, though, that's fine. You can do what you did before and just boil the smaller amount and add water to get to five gallons.

Doing a full boil usually does result in a better beer, but you can still get excellent results with partial boils (boiling only a portion of the wort) too. You can do something called "late extract addition" which means adding most of the extract near the end of the boil. This results in a beer very much like doing a full boil.

If you post the recipe, we can take a look and see how you can do a smaller boil if you don't have a way to do the full boil.



__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Christiansted, St Croix, USVI, US Virgin Islands
Posts: 3,860
Liked 116 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Mixing concentrated wort with cold water in the fermenter has nothing to do with how the beer ends up tasting, IMO. Plenty of world-class beer is brewed by mixing a concentrated wort with cold water in the fermenter.

If you can pull off the full boil, that's great. You will start with more wort than you end up with, due to boiling off, remember. You will also need a wort chiller, either immersion-type or plate. The ice-water-in-the-sink method will work very poorly for full boils, unless you've a very deep sink and tons of ice.

Post your recipe, including your proposed procedure. We'll be better equipped to address this then.

Cheers!

Bob

Bob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
chefmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: north Georgia
Posts: 1,358
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NQ3X View Post
You will also need a wort chiller, either immersion-type or plate. The ice-water-in-the-sink method will work very poorly for full boils, unless you've a very deep sink and tons of ice.

The brew pot in the bathtub method works well for me right now... winter and the water coming in is cold, even here in GA.

I also never used ice in the sink, just kept a trickle of cold water running and overflowed the left hand sink into the right... since heat rises, it kept the water cool and cooled the water. I can take 4 gallons from boil to 70 in 20 minutes. I was doing split voume boils at that point. Full volume meant the bathtub for the same technique and time.

I am getting an immersion chiller soon though.
__________________
Reformation Brewery: We went professional
Obsessing over: starting a local brewery (hence I am not here much these days!), Pickles, my wife, 2 year old and 5 year old, my chevy 6.5L diesel Suburban
Reading: fall of giants by ken follett
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven
chefmike is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bernie Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eldorado, WI
Posts: 7,539
Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

The only problem I can foresee with doing a partial boil with a recipe designed for a full boil is that the hop utilization will be off. You'll have to add extra hops to get the desired HBUs, since you will be diluting the bitterness that was extracted from the hops during the boil. I would recommend using an online brewing calculator to calculate how much extra hops you need to add in order to get your desired HBUs.

__________________
I like to squeeze the nickle until the buffalo craps-mt rob

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett
Bernie Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
billk911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 100
Default

Here is the recipe that I intend to do. I would rather do a 5 gallon total batch with this recipe but not 100% sure how to scale it down. Also wondering if when I scale it down, is it ok to use the scaled down recipe in 2 gallons of wort and mix it with 3 more gallons of water to make a total of 5 gallons?


Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma HHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) [Yeast-Lager

__________________
billk911 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,039
Liked 481 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default

The question I have is do you have the other equipment to do an all-grain recipe like this?

__________________

*******
Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

BierMuncher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
billk911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 100
Default

Sorry, forgot to add this...



For Extract/Steeping Grains
For a 2.5 gallon boil:
Change pale malt to 6 pounds light DME

1.75 oz NB hops at 60.
.75 oz NB hops at 30
.50 oz NB hops at flame-out.





Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma HHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) [Yeast-Lager

__________________
billk911 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bernie Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eldorado, WI
Posts: 7,539
Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billk911 View Post
Here is the recipe that I intend to do. I would rather do a 5 gallon total batch with this recipe but not 100% sure how to scale it down. Also wondering if when I scale it down, is it ok to use the scaled down recipe in 2 gallons of wort and mix it with 3 more gallons of water to make a total of 5 gallons?


Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma HHops -

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) [Yeast-Lager
Quote:
Originally Posted by billk911 View Post
Sorry, forgot to add this...



For Extract/Steeping Grains
For a 2.5 gallon boil:
Change pale malt to 6 pounds light DME

1.75 oz NB hops at 60.
.75 oz NB hops at 30
.50 oz NB hops at flame-out.






Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.91 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma HHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) [Yeast-Lager

It looks like the hop adjustments have already been done for you. Now all you have to do is scale the recipe down to 5 gallons and jump in. Ought to be easy math for that........
__________________
I like to squeeze the nickle until the buffalo craps-mt rob

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett
Bernie Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,702
Liked 3869 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Default

Wow- does that recipe look familiar........................

Just follow the extract recipe, and the hopping and it'll turn out fine.

It's a 5 gallon recipe. Ignore the all-grain stuff in the thread, since you're doing the extract version. That calls for 6 pounds light DME and 1 pound crystal 60L. Steep the grains for 15-20 minutes at 150-160 degrees, then throw them away. Add the extract and bring to a boil. Then do the hopping as directed in the extract directions.



__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New brewer question buzzbee Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-31-2009 06:15 PM
Question from a brewer mgo737 Wine Making Forum 0 06-15-2009 11:16 PM
A new brewer with a question Lateraliss Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 04-09-2009 06:16 PM
New Brewer has a question jester22151 General Techniques 10 01-23-2008 05:06 PM
New Brewer Question Dobrew Dave Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-30-2007 02:40 PM