Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New brewer looking for first kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #21
MarsingRedneck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by roesn View Post
I will be brewing indoors.

I would feel confident making this purchase

90$
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/plast...arter-kit.html

Unless someone told me otherwise.. It looks like it has everything I would need except for the ingredients, bottles and kettle. ( which I can get in the upgrade package if you think it's worth it. Link below.)

(Ingredients sold separately)
70$
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/indis...upgrade-2.html

Thanks for all of the great info

Cheers

This is what I got. Works great and includes a beer kit. I choose wheat.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/e...arter-kit.html

But they have all kinds of starter kits

http://home-brewing.northernbrewer.c...er%20kit&asug=

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #22
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I don't know how true it is, but it's been said that if you fill your aluminum pot just shy a gal of full and let it boil an hour it forms an oxide layer (grey) that keeps aluminum from leeching out.

I did this, but to find out what my boil off rate for an hour is, which is only 10%.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #23
te-wa
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 40

clean, then bake your aluminum wort pot at 350 for 20 minutes. it'll fit sideways in most evens... or, place in dishwasher with Heat dry. done deal.

in keg: RIS on bourbon oak; pumpkin porter; honey DIPA
primary: dubbel; APA
soon: imperial vanilla/coffee porter

Old 12-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #24
roesn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This kit comes with a better bottle instead of the glass carboy. What are your thoughts on this?

Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 AM   #25
rodwha
Recipes 

A Better Bottle/plastic carboy is much safer and weighs much less than glass.

For me I'd only use them for a barley wine or mead. I just don't do a secondary.

Oh, I forgot to mention the airlock design. I'm not sure how hard they are, but the S style seems impossible to get into the middle section. I've always just gone for the 3 piece, which a blow off tube will fit on nicely.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #26
rodwha
Recipes 

Something else you can do to quickly get a few more buckets is to stop by the bakery department and ask if the have any food grade icing buckets you can have. I picked up 5 of them from my local grocery store, plus 2 small ~2 gal buckets.

Once you've brewed your beer you'll have 3-4 weeks to have drank enough beer to bottle. Invite some friends or ask for pry off bottles. Some have even found bars and such to save them for you. Also save the boxes they came in. 12 packs are your friend!

Old 12-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #27
roesn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This one

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/plast...arter-kit.html

Doesn't say anything about an S design airlock. Should I be concerned?

Old 12-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #28
roesn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

By secondary you mean having a second fermenter to do a two stage process OR or a second batch of beer? I'm new to this and was hoping this kit would be enough to start with.

Along with a 7 gal aluminum pot
Dial thermometer
Do I need a nylon boiling bag? It's listed in the upgrade pack

Old 12-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #29
rodwha
Recipes 

If you look at the pic with the little thing at the top of the buckets it shows the S style of airlock. A 3 piece looks like this:

http://morebeer.com/products/airlock...html?site_id=5

The S style looks like this:

http://morebeer.com/products/airlock...html?site_id=5

The secondary is the Better Bottle/carboy. It's meant for siphoning beer out of the primary fermentor into the secondary either to get it off of the yeast or because you want to add fruits or some such. When aging beer it's probably better to get it off of the yeast. But I've heard of people having forgotten their beer for months with no ill effects.

I prefer the floating style of thermometer because you can just leave it in there and get a good reading whenever you want vs having to hold it for a while, though some have clamps, but it's all dependent on volume.

You'll only need a grain bag if you intend to do steeping or BIAB/partial mashes. You'll want one eventually. And I'd recommend starting with steeping as soon as you are comfortable as it opens so many more doors for you. But it might be a good idea to work with something more simple the first couple of times. I had a tough time with my first two.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #30
rodwha
Recipes 

Why I don't want an S style airlock is because I've had a few explosive fermentations where the krausen has come up through the airlock. If that happens with a 3 piece it's no biggie as it's easy to clean, but with an S I'm not sure how you'd clean the center portion.

The easy fix would be to make certain you stay below your max fill level. Give it maybe 3" from the top and you'll likely be fine.

Quick Reply