Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New brewer looking for first kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #11
Justdrumin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Honestly, looking back at it, the one without the secondary is only $20 cheaper. You might as well get it since that's a great price for one.

As far as the bigger pot goes, I wish I had one now to do BIAB AG, but for a beginner...eh. Not so important INMHO. A bigger pot for full boils means a chiller as well which is a whole other expense. I personally make some great beer doing my partial boil, partial mash batches topping up with a couple frozen gallon jugs of store bought water to chill.

I bought what I have listed above. It's a great price for everything and it's everything he needs to keep him VERY busy for a while. This is purely from my experience with this same kit.

Primary: House Amber
Secondary:
Bottled:
Kegged: Vienna Lager
Future: Kaiser Alt, Oktoberfest Lager, Imperial Helles Bock, Leinenkugel Summer Shandy Clone, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde, Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer, Fesh Squeezed IPA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Will you be brewing on a stove top or on a burner outside?

If you'll be indoors a 5 gal pot is about all you'll get to boil well, and I'd suggest an aluminum pot if so. In mine I can easily do 4 gal boils, but as was stated I have to top off or use another pot to create the missing portion (which I don't do). But I don't mind using chilled top off water as it helps further bring my temp down.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #13
rodwha
Recipes 

Some more advice:

Keep some extra hops, muslin bags, dry yeast, DME, and bottle caps on hand as it'll give you room if you make last minute changes or find you forgot something or things don't quite turn out as expected.

Also check any kits against MoreBeer. Their prices always seem to have competed with others, but after $59 they give free shipping, which is why I deal with them. But free shipping takes a couple of extra days, generally 4-7 days it seems, but it's free!

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #14
roesn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I will be brewing indoors.

I would feel confident making this purchase

90$

Unless someone told me otherwise.. It looks like it has everything I would need except for the ingredients, bottles and kettle. ( which I can get in the upgrade package if you think it's worth it. Link below.)

(Ingredients sold separately)
70$

Thanks for all of the great info

Cheers

Old 12-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #15
rodwha
Recipes 

I cannot comment on a stainless pot, but it might be harder to bring 4 gals to a strong boil, and it ought to take longer to cool down.

As for bottles I just drink various craft beers, rinse out well, and soak in oxyclean (standing up and filled with water) to remove the labels. For the price of empty bottles you can spend a little bit more and get good beer too! You'll need about 2 - 2.5 cases worth of bottles per batch depending on grub and batch size.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:29 AM   #16
rodwha
Recipes 

Were I you I'd look for a 5-7 gal aluminum pot. I wish my pot were a little larger, and you need about 1 gal to accommodate the boil and give time if a boil over begins.

And if you find you have trouble getting a strong boil you can buy a larger burner that has an additional coil. That's what I had to do.

And you'll need a long handled plastic spoon for buckets.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #17
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roesn View Post
I will be brewing indoors.

I would feel confident making this purchase

90$

Unless someone told me otherwise.. It looks like it has everything I would need except for the ingredients, bottles and kettle. ( which I can get in the upgrade package if you think it's worth it. Link below.)

(Ingredients sold separately)
70$

Thanks for all of the great info

Cheers
There are TONS of kits out there that will work out great. That particular one happens to be what I bought and I couldn't be happier. You should be ok now, but once it starts getting warmer you'll need some sort of temp control. I did this with a $20 mini fridge on craigslist and the eBay aquarium temp controller build. In total it cost me around $60 and it DEFINITELY stepped up my game...I could go on all day with this so I better stop myself. Lol.

Secondary:
Bottled:
Future: Kaiser Alt, Oktoberfest Lager, Imperial Helles Bock, Leinenkugel Summer Shandy Clone, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde, Yoopers Fizzy Yellow Beer, Fesh Squeezed IPA.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #18
roesn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok great advice. Do you think it would be a safe bet to go with this one

But skip on the upgrade and do what you said, drink craft beers for bottles and buy and 7 gal aluminum pot.

Do I need a dial thermometer for the pot? Or will the one with the kit posted above work?

Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #19
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roesn View Post
Ok great advice. Do you think it would be a safe bet to go with this one

But skip on the upgrade and do what you said, drink craft beers for bottles and buy and 7 gal aluminum pot.

Do I need a dial thermometer for the pot? Or will the one with the kit posted above work?
That's also a great way to start as well. I would go with a $22 32 quart aluminum pot at Wal mart. I have been considering that one.

As for the thermometer, that kit doesn't come with one. The upgrade with bottles and what not did. I would recommend a long dial thermometer. I got mine from Midwest for $11 I think.

Secondary:
Bottled:

Old 12-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #20
rodwha
Recipes 

I really like the floating style of thermometer.

Quick Reply