Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New brewer looking for first kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
roesn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default New brewer looking for first kit

Hello. I have never brewed a beer in my life, but after researching about the brewing process, I am ready to purchase my first beer kit. :-) My budget is 100-200$ for the kit.

This was the one I was looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AC55H24/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/185-1658576-6599703?pc_redir=1388049975

What would you recommend I get?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roesn View Post
Hello. I have never brewed a beer in my life, but after researching about the brewing process, I am ready to purchase my first beer kit. :-) My budget is 100-200$ for the kit.

This was the one I was looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AC55H24/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/185-1658576-6599703?pc_redir=1388049975

What would you recommend I get?
I bought mine from midwest supplies. It came with EVERYTHING you need to brew a batch when it came in the mail for $200 including ingredients!! Which I just looked and they don't have it, but these are what I bought all together with an ingredient kit in one package. You could also opt for no secondary...because I've used it once for a lager I did. You could probably just buy one later. They have an upgrade kit, which is the second link, that completes the kit minus an ingredient kit. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!!!

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/plastic-brewing-starter-kit.html

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/indispensable-implements-brewing-equipment-upgrade-2.html

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, Oktoberfest Lager
Kegged: IPL
Future: Düsseldorf Alt, Noble Pils, BierMunchers Centennial Blonde.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 55

You'll not need a secondary fermentor, but you may want it some day down the road. It's mostly necessary for aging.

What kind of beer are you considering?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
roesn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That kit and upgrade looks really nice. That's 100% everything I need without cutting corners or getting cheap gear? That's actually a good deal and am now curious about how much better would the next step up be?

I would ideally like brewing an ale like a New Glaurus Spotted Cow, just to start out. So I'm not sure if I'm going for the right gear or not... Or maybe I'm limiting my self to only a specific type of beer? Any info would be appreciated! I will continue to read more

Old 12-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
rodwha
Recipes 

No limits to beer styles.

One thing I'd suggest is to but two hydrometers and two floating thermometers. They break easily, and it's only a matter of time.

I didn't really check out all the kit came with, but be sure you have a fermometer on each of your fermenting buckets.

You'll also want a timer, a scale that can weigh as little as .1 oz and as much 7-10 lbs. And get a reusable grain bag.

Are you planning on starting with all extract or will you try steeping grains? It's not hard and makes for a better beer giving you more options. And if you get a large grain bag it'll help the switch to BIAB.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
rodwha
Recipes 

Have you read How To Brew? It's free online.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 724 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Get the most basic kit from Midwest, or another online brewing source or a local brewing store. Instead of the deluxe kit with the carboy, skip the carboy at least for now but buy a couple more fermenting buckets. You'll find the extra fermenters much more useful than a carboy. If you have money left, buy more kits or ingredients if you want to roll your own. You'll need a 5 gallon OR BIGGER pot too.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 335 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Don't skimp on the kettle. If you buy a 5 gallon pot, you'll be doing partial boils, where you'll need to add more water to the wort after chilling. But if you get a bigger kettle--8 gal. min., 10 gal. is better--you can do full-volume extract boils, which will yield better beer. After the boil, you just chill, rack to the fermenter and pitch. And the bigger kettle will be good to go if you move to all-grain.

Shop around on kettles, even check Amazon. You should be able to do this and stay within your $200 limit for the whole kit.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
te-wa
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 38

get a pond pump and a 3/8 or 1/2" I.D. copper wort chiller. $35
get a rubbermaid wrapping paper bin or a wallpaper container for soaking your racking cane and other stuff with star-san. $8
get a stc-1000 temp controller and a 5 cubic freezer for fermenting.
KEEP the carboy, just buy a plastic, 7 gal fermenting bucket so if you do bigger beers, or plan to use a bright tank, you'll be able to get off the yeast cake after a month and age for longer (up to a year, for wee heavy/RIS, etc..)
get a stir plate and beaker/clear growler for making yeast starters.

this schwag all costs far more than just a beer kit, but if you want to keep at this hobby, these items and more are mandatory.

in keg: red chair style
Primary: fresh squeezed style
Secondary: wee heavy
Soon: RIS on bourbon oak

Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
roesn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

5 Gallon Plastic CarboyUniversal Carboy Bung