Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Brewer Looking for Bottle Cleaning Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
jtmwhyte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New Brewer Looking for Bottle Cleaning Advice

Title says it all. I'm looking for the best way to clean bottles in preparation for my first brew leaving the secondary (hopefully by Friday). I was planning on soaking in diversol solution, rinsing, and sanitizing in the dishwasher/using sodium metabisulfite afterward. Any thoughts or anything more thorough?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Ammonia (diluted w/water) works great for removing old labels - I soak overnight, most of the labels are floating the next day. A green scrubby removes the glue.

If you have deposits/junk/mold inside bottles, some sort of oxidizing cleaner - like PBW or Oxyclean. I've used oxyclean with great results - using warm water, then soaking overnight works great. I rarely even need a bottle brush. Don't soak for more than a day or two though - puts a nasty film on bottles. And rinse REALLY well or you'll have oxyclean-flavored beer. Nasty.

Once clean, just sanitize with Star San. Some do the heat cycle on the dishwasher (no soap) with great results. Never tried Sodium Meta, but I guess it'd work fine.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Most of us use an overnight soak of oxyclean and hot water to both clean and let labels come of effortless. Then a rinse and a soak in a weak acid like dilluted starsan, or either vengar and water or lemon juice and water, then sanitize as normal.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Jimbob
Recipes 

I've never tried either of the methods mentioned but thought I would throw my method in the mix. 1) HOT PBW for about 2 hours. 2) Rinse with hot water 3) run in dish washer on high heat or Pots/Pans setting 4) Put all the bottles in sanitizing solution and pull out as needed durning filling. Don't forget to sanitize the bottle caps too.

If only I could quit my job, get the two year old twins to carry a carboy, I'd brew everyday!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
Jimbob
Recipes 

I neglected to mention that I don't take issue with the previous posts I just haven't used ammonia or viniger when bottling.

If only I could quit my job, get the two year old twins to carry a carboy, I'd brew everyday!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #6
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My process is very similar. Soak in oxyclean for an hour or two, then run them through the dishwasher on the "sanitize" cycle. If I don't use them immediately, then I soak them in stars an for a couple minutes the next bottling day.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #7
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, and always rinse your bottles immediately after drinking the last of the beer in them. Makes cleaning much easier.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
mdineenwob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeerohour
Oh, and always rinse your bottles immediately after drinking the last of the beer in them. Makes cleaning much easier.
So true. Just did my first batch and I soaked in the Walmart version of Oxiclean and ran throw the dishwasher. I paid the price for not sufficiently rinsing the bottles. Took a long time with a bottle brush but live and learn.

I recommend Sun oxygen cleaner from good old Walmart. It was $2 for a medium tub of the stuff and I put 5 scoops in a 10 gal bucket and let the. Soak for 3 hours. Every single label fell right off!

Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
BlainD
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I go dumpster diving in the glass recycling for my bottles. Have access to a militarily post so TONS of bottles. Usually soak them overnight in a five gallon bucket with some bleach(about a cap to a gallon). I'm new to brewing too but I use to be a chef and if there is one thing I learned it's Bleach water will kill anything.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Hot OxyClean (Sodium Percarbonate), labels float right off, then a rinse in weak citric acid solution and into the storage box. I santize with StarSan before bottling.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply