Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Brewer Here - When to Add flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
CharlieK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Brewer Here - When to Add flavor?

This is more of a "I'm planning to do this way down the road but want to learn about it now so I can be thinking about it as I brew other batches" question, so here it goes!

When adding something for flavor, such as fruit, when in the process is the best time to add? I know the flavor will be extremely muted if you add while boiling in the beginning stages, but if you add it during secondary fermentation does that help to make the flavor more pronounced in the end? can you add a bit of orange peel or something to each bottle when bottling and have that make a big difference?

Also, what can you add as far as flavoring goes, does it have to be fruit/something with sugars in it for the yeast to work its magic or can you add something else (don't know why you'd want to, but like, spices or something, haha)? Once I get my first handfull of brews out of the way I want to try and experiment a bit so I'm just figuring out my options so I can be thinking!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Add fruit in the secondary. Spices are often added near the end of the boil. Search the site and you will find out more then you need.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can add almost anything to the beer. And no, it does not have to contribute fermentables. You can add all kinds of spices - I make a ginger wheat beer with fresh ginger added at various stages throughout the boil and in secondary (actually, I add it to the primary after fermentation is finished).

Whole fruits or fruit purees are usually added to the secondary, although apparently a number of prize winning beers have the fruit steeped in the hot wort after the boil is finished. Fruit is generally not boiled because boiling sets the pectins and causes clouding.

Fruit or spice flavored extracts are usually added at bottling.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 01-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The first thing I do to my beer is add flavor.

Quick Reply