New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New brewer, first batch - failed to get hydrometer reading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
menerdari
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Get yourself a brew hauler or carboy handle, if you get a handle you will have to support the bottom of the carboy when it is full.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Coolhand78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
Get yourself a brew hauler or carboy handle, if you get a handle you will have to support the bottom of the carboy when it is full.
As of right now, I have it in a milk crate. Will that be safe enough?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I highly endorse getting some Brewhaulers. In fact I would get as many as you have carboys for so that you don't have to worry about switching them around and shaking up your brews if you do more than one at a time. Carboy handles always feel unsafe to me as I'm waiting for the neck of the carboy to crack off. No such worry with the Brewhaulers and I feel like you can get much more leverage/grip on them then a milk carton. I also make sure to have a padded "landing zone" when I am setting down glass carboys. Just my two pennys.

Edit: Almost forgot. They are around $5 dollars everywhere I have seen them. 100% worth the price.

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
BPal75
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Do you know what kind of yeast they gave you? An octoberfest is usually a lager, so if you used lager yeast you won't get exactly what your looking or at temps in mid 70s. It won't necessarily be bad, but you might get some esters and diacetyl you weren't looking for - something to keep in mind for the future.

Regardless, the first few days of fermentation are most crucial, so whether an ale or lager yeast, I would recommend moving the Carboy to the basement.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
Coolhand78
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPal75 View Post
Do you know what kind of yeast they gave you? An octoberfest is usually a lager, so if you used lager yeast you won't get exactly what your looking or at temps in mid 70s. It won't necessarily be bad, but you might get some esters and diacetyl you weren't looking for - something to keep in mind for the future.

Regardless, the first few days of fermentation are most crucial, so whether an ale or lager yeast, I would recommend moving the Carboy to the basement.
It was cheap Muntons yeast that came with the kit (pictured in original post).

I took the advice, got her down to the basement using the milk crate. The whole time I was afraid of the plastic breaking, so I guess I will end up getting a brew hauler.

Quick Reply