Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New brewer competition question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
kswim612
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New brewer competition question

I'm about to brew my 4th brew since starting this hobby over the summer. I thought it'd be neat to enter a competition in January just to see how these stack up against other people. I just wanted to know if there are any unwritten rules about using a kit for a batch and then entering it or about using extract?

I know a lot of factors go into a batch's final flavor so is using a kit looked down upon by the brewing community?

My next batch is extract but I am using a recipe I found on here. Is that acceptable?

Primary: Sweet S'mores Stout
Secondary:
Bottled: Smashing Pumpkin Ale, Vanilla Porter
Planned:
Gallons in 2013: 20

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Totally acceptable. Good luck and be willing to accept criticism.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswim612
I'm about to brew my 4th brew since starting this hobby over the summer. I thought it'd be neat to enter a competition in January just to see how these stack up against other people. I just wanted to know if there are any unwritten rules about using a kit for a batch and then entering it or about using extract? I know a lot of factors go into a batch's final flavor so is using a kit looked down upon by the brewing community? My next batch is extract but I am using a recipe I found on here. Is that acceptable?
Give a kit to two brewers and you will have two different beers. Fermentation is the biggest and often overlooked part of the brewing process, and it is what sets apart bad beer from good beer from world class beer. People are more concerned with hop schedules, efficiency, fly sparging, decoctions, step mashes, all grain vs extract, hop stands, etc. And all of that stuff is well and good but it won't matter if you have a crappy fermentation. So a kit properly fermented by Brewer A will taste like a completely different beer than the same kit poorly fermented by Brewer B. It's the same kit but the the better brewer will have a better (and different) beer. Heck, a properly fermented extract beer will taste way better than a poorly fermented all grain beer.

So to answer your question: no, they aren't going to give you crap for using a kit.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
estricklin
Certified Guitar Pickin' Hop Slingin' Crazy Homebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Absolutely not, go for it!

Who is John Galt?

Old 11-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Finally, don't imagine for a moment that you can't make a very competitive beer using extracts. I'm an extract brewer; my sole competition entry was for a Philly Beer Week home brew IPA contest a few years ago; third place out of about 20 entries.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 136

The judges won't know you used a kit unless you indicate such...

It's about brewing skill, not just recipe.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply