New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The new brewer. A cautionary tale.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Ricochetbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 5 Posts

Default The new brewer. A cautionary tale.

I am a fairly new member to HBT but am amazed by the beginning brewer forum. I wished I would have known about it when I started brewing 8 years ago. I truly enjoy reading the questions posted and get a chuckle when I come across someone who made similar mistakes in their first brews as I did.
That being said I wanted to touch on two common mistakes new brewers make when starting out. I think even the seasoned brewers can agree that they either fell into one of these two categories or at least dabbled with them.
Before I launch into my theory I want to say that I am in no way targeting any single brewer on this thread. I am simply making an observation based upon reading numerous threads and my own experience/mistakes.
Here. Goes. New brewers, myself included typically make two major mistakes when they start brewing. These mistakes are trying to make incredibly high gravity beers right out of the gate and trying to get mad scientist in the Brew pot by creating crazy recipes or messing with adjuncts.
When I started brewing I wanted to make beer with a crazy high ABV. While this can be a fun way to impress your friends, without a sound understanding of what makes beer alcoholic your recipes will suffer. I added everything from honey to boiled corn sugar to my wort just trying to make high gravity beer. I didn't know anything about extracts or grain bills, and much less about brew house efficiency and the conversion of starches. This led to beers that I simply couldn't be proud of. Off flavors and odd mouthfeel was the signature of my first brews.
Secondly new brewers want to shoot right out of the gate playing mad scientists and creating crazy unique recipes without the basic principles of brewing mastered. Everyone wants to make a triple cherry upside down stout with a twist without the knowledge of how different ingredients effect the finished beer. I tried cinnamon, molasses, peach pulp, and some crazy stuff I am too embarrassed to mention in order to create the coolest new recipe around.
All of this to say I wish I would have had someone sit me down and say " hey stick to the basics dummy". I am not saying don't experiment or don't try to expand your recipes. All I am saying is take awhile when your starting out to learn the principles, read books talk to seasoned vet and most importantly brew. Build a foundation based on a sound understanding of brewing principles and take very detailed notes on your processes. This will lead to great beer that you can be proud to share with family a friends. There will be many future brews to create your masterpieces and when you perfect that triple cherry upside down stout with a twist I hope you will send one my way!
Good luck on future brews
Ryan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
OilBaron
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I even regret choosing a lager for my first brew. The temperature requirements are somewhat doable as I live in NY and it is winter, but I can be exact. Once I make an ale that people request more of, then I will move on to the experimentation.

I agree with everything you said.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

I totally agree,Too many noobs wanna brew their first beer with tons of ABV & wild flavor additions. I just brewed the kit that came with my starter kit straight up,disregarding the shorter timtables given in the instructions. They just want to sell more kits quickly.
so I took some advice on here & it came out pretty good in the end. It's more important to use a simple recipe so you can concentrate on developing a sound brewing method as you move on to bigger & better things. I did that,& now am into partial mash,thinking of new ways to use those pre-hopped cans of days gone by. It comes with experience,not just desire. You can't short cut experience.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Yep, I too agree with everything you said. Nice post.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 334 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Very good post.

And how true. Almost every day someone wants to know how to boost ABV on their first brew. Stick to tried and true recipes when you start, learn the brewing process, and then you can begin to experiment using the knowlege and techniques you have learned.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
the_trout
For those about to rack, I salute you
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
You can't short cut experience.
so true, but by reading this forum you can shorten the learning curve tremendously.

I know Ive told several people that the single best thing they can do to make better beer is to read this forum daily. I dont consider myself new anymore but I still learn something from this site almost daily. The advice in the OPs post is spot on for new brewers.
Unearthly IIPA
Bottles
RIS
American Black Ale
CT-A3 - Centennial Amber
Upcoming
Imperial Amber
English Bitter

the_trout on untappd

Old 01-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Jon73
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I only brewed two kits before I dove into making my own extract recipes, and yes, I was guilty of going for gravity. 3 years later I do all-grain and am shooting for a nice 1.050 SG brew. How times change.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73
I only brewed two kits before I dove into making my own extract recipes, and yes, I was guilty of going for gravity. 3 years later I do all-grain and am shooting for a nice 1.050 SG brew. How times change.
I can always tell a new brewer from a seasoned bet simply by the beer styles they brew-

New = over-hopped über-high OG triple IPA
Old = 1.048 - 1.065 OG simple, good beer of various styles

I say this with absolutely no offense intended

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
sc0tty81
Recipes 

I'm a noob, first thing I wanna do is make a beer that tastes good, using basic kit, then build on that, I wanna get my process in control the best I can before becoming adventurous

Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Great advice!!! There is so much to learn and no reason to complicate that beginner process.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Quick Reply