New Brewer, bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastlane350

Reaction score
Hello Homebrewers,

My name is Warren and i am about to try making my first batch of homebrewed beer this next week *sounds like a good way to spend St.Pattys to me* I know where a local shop is that can sell me the kit, and im going to go pick it up probably Monday, im midway through reading Dave Millers Homebrewing Guide, and ive watched a ton of Youtube videos so i think im about ready to get started. Right now im preparing for the batch by collecting some used bottles from around my apartment and im getting ready to clean them off really good and peel off the labels. Suddenly i realized something that could be a problem though, and that is that probably half of my 55 bottles are twist off. Will i still be able to cap these? or should i throw the twist top bottles out and work on killing some quality beer over the next week?

You shouldn't use twist offs for capping as the glass around the threads is thin and could break with the pressure build up.

cheap wing cappers usually cannot cap twist offs at all.

a bench capper works. some twist off bottles are really thin glass though and don't hold up to much wear and tear/ re-use.

You should have 3 weeks or so after brewing to accumulate bottles.

I would recommend drinking some good beers of the same style your planning to brew.

That way when you finally get to drink your incredibly delicious homebrew:rockin:, you'll have some recent comparisons.

I don't think you'll have to much trouble collecting 50 or so non twist-off bottles.

Good luck

Bull

ok, so after looking around a bit i remembered my friend recycles so i went up and grabbed another 20 good bottles from her... i need 15 more.. so i think i can kill a 12 pack of Upland, which is a local microbrew here.. and the rest of my flying dogs and ill be good.. thanks for the advice guys.. it wouldve sucked to have half my bottles break

Yes the bottles are thinner and have the potential of not sealing too. I wouldn't risk it. Brew the beer anyways, because you will have to wait a few weeks to bottle anyways. I have bottled a week after pitching yeast, but the beer didn't turn out the best. It's possible (as long as its done fermenting) but not really recommended!

Latest posts

Back