Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Brew Kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
ACarver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default New Brew Kettle

So I am looking for a new brew kettle, I do extract batches now but plan on making the switch to all grain within the next year. I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this kettle. I would like a spigot, and only plan on doing 5 gal batches (even when I step up to all grain).

Would I be better off going with the 10 gal or would the $30 cheaper 8 gal work for what I plan on doing? I was tempted to get a 10 gal blichmann, but decided I would settle for a cheaper one for the next few years.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...6/product.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd go with the 10 gallon one. I only do 5 gallon batches myself and with the 10 gallon pot I've had a couple times of near boil overs when I wasn't paying attention. It's also nice if you ever want to do longer boils you have more room to account for more evaporation with longer boil. I just find having the extra room is worth the cost difference and gives you more options going forward.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts

Gduck is right. That extra space is going to come in handy. Also, you may want to brew a high octane all grain brew in the future, and may need to heat up 8-9+ gallons of water for the mash.

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
TyroneSweetlick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 Gduck.

I have an 8, only do 5 gal batches, and would prefer a 10 gal. for the reasons already mentioned.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Definitely go with 10 gallon. I actually boil off about 2gal/hour, so I found myself always starting out with at least 7 gallons in the pot. That's not leaving me much room. Plus, lately, I've decided to step up to 6 gallons going into the fermentor, just to make sure I end up with a true 5 gallons going inot the keg, so even less room. Basically, I'm saying you never know what you might decide to brew later on. Then there is the fact of doing a 90 minute boil, which some recipes will call for, in that case you have to start with even more wort to boil. So, when the only negative is an additional $30, I think you'll end up being much happier going with teh 10 gallon pot.

Heck, I'm already looking at parties this summer and am thinking of going up to 15 gallons, just so I can brew a few extra gallons to throw into a 2/5 gallon keg and travel with to parties. So yeah, I ramble, but 10 gallons would be a good move.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
ACarver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the great info everyone, was pretty sure I would be getting the 10 gal regardless. One last question, anyone have any opinions on the Bayou Classic I linked? Spigot looks halfway respectable with a threaded fitting on the end.

Thanks again!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #7
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I agree that the 10 gallon is the way to go at this point if you have the BTU's for the boil. 8 gallons is too close to preboil volume for 5 gallon bottling volume.
I am still on the kitchen gas stove, so I have to use two smaller pots in order to get a decent boil(s).

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACarver View Post
Thanks for all the great info everyone, was pretty sure I would be getting the 10 gal regardless. One last question, anyone have any opinions on the Bayou Classic I linked? Spigot looks halfway respectable with a threaded fitting on the end.

Thanks again!
I think that kettle is just fine.
I have the 11 gal version and I purchased and modified it with 3pc ball valve, 1/2" nipple
and internal elbow downtube and it pretty much ended up costing me about the same.

Rugged kettle that will last a long time, especially if you take care of it.

BREW ON BROTHER.... BREW ON!!!!!

PRIMARY: Apple Cider (13 gallons)
SECONDARY-NADA
SECONDARY-NOTHIN'
Conditioning: Mish-Mash/End of Summer Ale
Drinking: Hill Farmstead - my local brewery
Conditioning and Drinking:
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Quick Reply